Starter kit or tank/hood combo - Which Tank Should I buy?

matthew2926
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon tank. I am considering either buying this: which is a starter kit and comes with everything I want. I am also considering buying this: which is a tank and hood combo. Which one would be a better purchase? Obviously, if I go with the tank/hood combo, I will have to buy a heater and filter separately. Is the heater and filter in the starter kit (1st link) good, or would I be better off just buying the tank/hood combo in order to be able to purchase a better filter separately? All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Moneypenny1967
The more expensive one looks like it comes with lots of extras that you may already have with your 10G.Price up the extras you do need for the cheaper one and seem if its more economical to buy the cheaper one.It may be cheaper to do it that way?

Junne
Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would go bare bones and get a separate filter/heater.

I have bought kits such as yours ( not the same brand though ) and found that most kits tend to use the bare minimum when it comes to equipment. I ended up ( after learning about different stuff here ) buying better equipment that lasts longer and is more reliable.

I don't know how top fin compares to the competition but from experience on buying their decor ( paint chips and generally falls apart after a few month ) I wouldn't get their filter/heater.
There are many brands that are better for a reasonable price ( look to Amazon which is generally cheaper than stores like Petco/Petsmart )

Aqueon Pro is an excellent heater ( no glass to shatter and has very accurate temperature settings )
As for Filters, there are many options out there. I am sure someone else can point you in the right direction

Good luck!

Ksuvet
I am with jwebbe.
When I got my 90 gallon tank the LFS helped set me up with filter (Emporer 400) and heater (Hydro?) and lights (Actinic and 10K). I have since changed the filter to an Aquaclear 110, heater to an Eheim and lights to a 6700 and 10K with a lot of help from my FishLore friends directing me towards a better set up.
I think the bottom line is to make it easy to get the filter, heater and lights that you want and not what comes with the kit.

Summo
You should keep your 10 gal first, and wait for some members to sell their tanks, and you will be able to buy a complete set, with tons of money saved.

Dolfan
First off, is everyone changing there name these days. First Jwebbe is now Junne, now I'm pretty sure Ksuvet is the poster formerly known as Sillabon. I guess it's the new cool thing to do, haha. I will be staying as Dolfan.

As for your question, I totally agree with Junne and Ksuvet, just buy the tank separate and you can get the rest of the stuff way cheaper from somewhere else. I would suggest bigalspets.com or kensfish.com they are about half price on most stuff compared to stores like Petsmart or Petco. Plan out what you need and place one order for all your supplies, equipment, filter cartridges, chemicals, etc and you will save on shipping which is free if you order more that $75. Then it's delivered right to your door with no gas or time wasted. I love when I get a shipment in (I order from them often, haha) it's like Christmas morning and unwrapping presents.

Another way to save money is places like craigslist or local classified ads. I would suggest getting your tank from there, as long as it is not cracked or leaking a tank is a tank. I personally don't like getting other equipment used as your not sure of the care and maintenance on them, so they may not last long. But a tank will last for a long time as long as you don't break the glass. Many people get out of the hobby when they get busy with real life or frustrated due to their lack of knowledge or poor choices with stocking etc, which is a great savings to someone buying a tank. A while back, I got a 10 gallon tank, 2 filters, and an air pump all for $15. I really just wanted the tank, but the other stuff was in good shape and still works today, so nice bonus.

endlercollector
I got most of my tanks as hand-me-downs and on Craigslist as well as much of the equipment. I even got 2 already fully cycled this way, which is something you can't get in a store. Amazon is great--you can read all the reviews, and then things go on sale. I've so much cheap stuff that I got in a hurry--it's better to take your time rather than just getting what's in the kit.

Ps
Keep ur 10 gal running as a quarantine tank.

JeffK
Just looking at the filter that comes with the kit in the first link, the Top Fin 30 cycles tank water through at 150gph. You want your filtration to cycle the water in the tank 8-10 times per hour. For a 29 gal tank, you should have a filter in the 250-300 gph range (or more). As was previously stated, these starter kits come with the bare minimum, often even less. IMO you're better off piecing your new tank together (with some research) with the pieces you want that will work. It seems more expensive, but in the long run (when you start replacing inadequate tank hardware), it may actually be cheaper to piece it together correctly from the start.

Junne
First off, is everyone changing there name these days. First Jwebbe is now Junne, now I'm pretty sure Ksuvet is the poster formerly known as Sillabon. I guess it's the new cool thing to do, haha. I will be staying as Dolfan. .

Talk to Pongo77 ( Geoff ) HE started it!

frampy
Top fin filters and heaters are not the greatest. I would steer clear of those. The tanks are fine. I use aqueon filters in most of my tanks and they have been great. Two are 5 years old and I have never had any real problems with them. Hydor heaters are ok . I have 4 of them. They are cheaper then most and work well. I would buy just a tank then get the rest of the stuff online. Get some glass tops, a new light, heater, filter,and whatever else you want. Go on craigslist you might find a great setup a lot cheaper. I love craigslist!

Ksuvet
First off, is everyone changing there name these days. First Jwebbe is now Junne, now I'm pretty sure Ksuvet is the poster formerly known as Sillabon. I guess it's the new cool thing to do, haha. I will be staying as Dolfan.

As for your question, I totally agree with Junne and Ksuvet, just buy the tank separate and you can get the rest of the stuff way cheaper from somewhere else. I would suggest bigalspets.com or kensfish.com they are about half price on most stuff compared to stores like Petsmart or Petco. Plan out what you need and place one order for all your supplies, equipment, filter cartridges, chemicals, etc and you will save on shipping which is free if you order more that $75. Then it's delivered right to your door with no gas or time wasted. I love when I get a shipment in (I order from them often, haha) it's like Christmas morning and unwrapping presents.

Another way to save money is places like craigslist or local classified ads. I would suggest getting your tank from there, as long as it is not cracked or leaking a tank is a tank. I personally don't like getting other equipment used as your not sure of the care and maintenance on them, so they may not last long. But a tank will last for a long time as long as you don't break the glass. Many people get out of the hobby when they get busy with real life or frustrated due to their lack of knowledge or poor choices with stocking etc, which is a great savings to someone buying a tank. A while back, I got a 10 gallon tank, 2 filters, and an air pump all for $15. I really just wanted the tank, but the other stuff was in good shape and still works today, so nice bonus.

Yes, you are correct Dolfan....I think I was just going with the rest of the flock that night.

Geoff

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
vskfish
Replies
Views
jmoneyisback
Replies
Views
midnamoondog
Replies