Starter 30g hex tank Help

1. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

I'm am starting the journey of having a saltwater aquarium. Please give me any advice you have. Or what equipment you recommend for my tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome!
    Check out the articles on this site under Saltwater Fish Beginners, Saltwater Aquarium Equipment and many others.
    Having just started saltwater for the first time ever, I found this site has much to offer.

There are several "regulars" that have helped me as I am brand new (two months) to saltwater. 1971roadrunner, ryanr, Mike and so many others!
    Good luck and congratulations!

3. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Hi and a belated welcome to Fishlore :) I see in your profile that you intend to create a reef system with this which is one HUGE jump into SW tanks. The equipment you would need for a reef is different than just starting with a FOWLR. I see that there seems to be a light which is fine for now 'cause you wont need anything better since I strongly advise you to start with as much of a basic set up as possible in the beginning (NO CORALs for a while unlike claire :(). Look into a 50/50 mix of live rock-sand/non LR- sand and let it all colonize together. Power heads/circulation pumps would be needed to direct strong water flow at this rock as well. If I may add, would you consider maybe not using a hex but rather a rectangle because this tank shape would throw a real wrench in your gears as far as researching what others have done. From here on out I hope your ?'s are more specific to better help us help you :). ttyl

4. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Thank you for the advice :) and ohhh lol I know it's a process to get it going. It's gonna take me a couple months to get the equipment. I was just starting with the tank. And I've been doing as much research as possible hopfully I'll be putting it all together by September. And letting it cycle until late october

Ohhh also the light on there I'm going to get rid of, it just came with it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

You sound like a patient person which will work in your favor. Think about setting it up as a simple fowlr with small reef safe fish so you can gently over time work it into the reef tank you want. In this case I'm sure the light will be very much fine for a while to come if you like. ttyl

*live long and prosper (sorry, watching star trek :)).

* Christopher shoemaker . One more thing, on this forum are great threads regarding starting a SW tank from scratch (recent past as well). IMO this is one of the few forums you can easily find these (if not the only one) and the best ones out there for this. Look these up and read as many as you can. FL is great for this!