10 Gallon Tank Started out with little knowledge... what’s the best way to proceed?

KaisaJoy

Hi everyone!
I’m brand new to this website, and I’m glad I discovered it. On Wednesday night, I went and purchased a ten gallon tank and five guppies. I went through all of the steps, added Seed to my water like the lady at the store said to, and then acclimated and introduced my guppies to the tank. I’m only now, however, learning that I should’ve waited until the nitrogen cycle was complete to introduce my fish. I’m not normally an irresponsible or impatient person, and if I had realized that there was a lot involved in the cycle I definitely would have waited to introduce my fish. What is the best and safest way for my fish for me to proceed? I bought duckweed and I have a nice setup for my fish, but I don’t want to accidentally harm them by rushing the process. Is there something I can do that will prevent the cycle from harming them, and what is the best way for me to get my tank through the cycle sinceI already have the fish in the tank?
Thanks!

PaprikaFish

Seachem Prime is an excellent product that will remove chlorine from the water as well as detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite, which are toxic at levels higher than 0, are the harmful products that will be present in the water until it is cycled. Adding prime will immensely help your fish.

BabsandLoon

Welcome to FishLore!
So you will now have to do a fish in cycle.
You will need a test kit. Get the API Master Test Kit. Not the strips.
You will have to test your water regularly and do water changes. Be prepared to do lots of water changes.
It’s okay and don’t stress or worry. We will help you through it

KaisaJoy

PaprikaFish said:
Seachem Prime is an excellent product that will remove chlorine from the water as well as detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite, which are toxic at levels higher than 0, are the harmful products that will be present in the water until it is cycled. Adding prime will immensely help your fish.
Thank you so much for your help! My tank is doing great and I have thriving fish!
BabsandLoon said:
Welcome to FishLore!
So you will now have to do a fish in cycle.
You will need a test kit. Get the API Master Test Kit. Not the strips.
You will have to test your water regularly and do water changes. Be prepared to do lots of water changes.
It’s okay and don’t stress or worry. We will help you through it
Thank you for your help! Buying my own test kit was really helpful to know when to change the water. My tank is thriving and I’m getting ready to add some new fish now that my tank has gone through it’s cycle!

Kitley

Two of my tanks were fish in cycled. They were both 75 gallon, and I changed water according to test results...often every other day...It should take 4 to 6 weeks to be cycled I think. Enjoy your new hobby and welcome to the forum!

KaisaJoy

Kitley said:
Two of my tanks were fish in cycled. They were both 75 gallon, and I changed water according to test results...often every other day...It should take 4 to 6 weeks to be cycled I think. Enjoy your new hobby and welcome to the forum!
Thank you!

Latest threads

Top Bottom