55 Gallon Tank Started my "Aquaponics" set up today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am trying "Aquaponics" which is the combination of fish keeping and gardening.

What I did was attach a "flowerbox" to the wall in my living room above my fish tank. Then I took a pump and placed it in my fish tank to pump water into the "flowerbox" for the vegetables and herbs that I am attempting to grow in there. The water in the box is about 4 inches deep and constantly circulating. I am trying Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Oregano, and Parsley at the moment. It will take up to 2 weeks for the seeds to germinate. I should know by then if this is a success or failure.

The advantage to this is the water from the tank contains many of the nutrients needed to promote good plant growth. Also the plants serve as a natural filter to keep the tank water clean which the fish will like. It's like trying to copy nature and create a complete eco system in my living room. I have attached a couple of pics to try and show what it looks like at the moment. If everything works out well I will post more pics of the progress.

Attachments

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, that's a cool idea. I'll definitely be looking to see if this works. If it does most users here could save a buttload on groceries.

HitchHiker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I started one of these about a month ago, its been great. I stuck to herbs and now have basil, mint, oregano, and a couple of others, it works great so far. The only complaint that I have received is from my wife about the color of the grow light.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This is a fun idea, and can be great for both the plants and the aquarium. I've been interested in trying it, but my water is so hard that hydroponics don't work terribly well for me.

OP
G

Gargoyle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have changed the setup a little from what is was originally... It is currently set up like an ebb and flow set up for the seeds to start.. Once they sprout then it will be like a flood system or raft system depending on the terminology..

I built a small rack off the front of the box to hold my light for the tank. I still need to come up with a light for the plants once they sprout. Not exactly sure how to go about it just yet as I want it to look good but I think I am going to have to endure some ugly for a little while until I get a good design in my head.

But as of right now the water flows for 15 minutes every 2 hours.. So it goes like this.. 7:00-7:15 = water flow 7:15-9:00 = no water and then 9:00-9:15 = water flow and so on. I am doing this right now for the seeds to be able to germinate without getting water logged. Once they sprout and I have roots the fun will begin. ;D

Thanks for the interest!! As things progress I will update with new pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom