Started Cycling Tank

1. G0ne Fishin Member Member

ok i know i should know this but ill ask here. i started my tank 2 wks ago june 3. with few plants.

20G
    HOB Penguin filter
    heater set @76
    ph 7.0 still same as my tap
    ammonia 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0

There hasnt been a change in my reading, i use the api liquid tests.
    water been crystal clear til i came home from work yesterday and i see cloudy tank! also there is this clear jelly looking stuff on my driftwood and some on my plants
    i dont wanna panick and start adding bunch of chemicals cuz i know that will onlly make things worse lol
    i want to add more plants but idk if whats going on in tank is normal and i need to let it happen. do i need do water change? of so how much?

2. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Are you adding any source of ammonia to the water? Without an ammonia source the tank wont cycle.

3. peregrine Member Member

Like MikeRad89 said. But also have you added any bacteria like Stability or equivalent?

As for the weird jelly stuff. Someone elsewhere had mentioned it, and said they had seen it o their driftwood they got from the store. I'm trying to see if I can find the forum. Someone had a fix for it.

Found it. White slime is normal.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/driftwood/45426-white-slime-new-piece-wood.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/driftwood/103549-i-got-jelly-like-substance-my-driftwood.html

Ther eare pictures ther etoo, to compare.

But other thing is thinking your tank hasn't cycled with no ammonia source..

4. G0ne Fishin Member Member

when i add the ammonia since i have plants will bringing it to 2ppm work..thanks for your responses

5. peregrine Member Member

Yeah it should. You will also need some sort of bacterial starter. You will need to dose with ammonia until you start showing showing nitrates after the nitrites show up.

6. G0ne Fishin Member Member

this morning tank is cleared up on its own. i added nothing! i did start with a little media from lfs i dont know if that makes a difference. i tested everything this morning:

ph 7.2
    ammonia .25/.50
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 0
    kh 0-50
    gh 50-100 not sure if those matter at this time
    temp 75 F

when i add ammonia to where do i get it to?
    i did notice some very small snails in tank looks like i may have missed some eggs!
    Please if yall could help me with my next step. im not in a hurry to put critters in. this will be my first planted tank. i plan on red cherry shrimp and some otos. my first goal is fully understand what im doing in hopes of greater success and enjoyment! thanks all

7. peregrine Member Member

You are doing better than me. I found this forum after starting my tank and started having issues. So i would get stability or something like that. Use per directions and dose daily with either fish food, or ammonia to build up the bacteria. And getting a piece of media from the lfs is great if it was a used piece. Means it already is set to help with the bacteria on your media so you might not need stability. I would get it and use it anyways as it won't cause issues. And im paranoid

8. G0ne Fishin Member Member

i have read so much my eyes hurt not to mention my brain. it gets confusing! i agree this site really helpful. thanks to all who keep fishlore going.
    ill just keep adding ammonia till i get nitrites. that is what ive read so far.
    was wondering if it would be ok to add a nerite snail or two at this time?

9. DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Don't add anything that you would want to survive in terms of animals whilst you are cycling it.