Started A 5.5 Gallon Tank

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Hello folks,

I have been out of the fish keeping for a long time and wanted to get back into and started small. I picked up an Aqueon 5.5 gallon to keep at work. I have already gone through the cycle and have 12-14 RCS, 2 Amanos and a Zebra Nerite. I am trying to find a fish(s) that can go in the tank and not be miserable. It is a planted tank with no lid. I am hoping to find an omnivorous candidate that can be ok with just 1-3 of them in there to not over load the bioload. I have scoured internet trying to find an option. The closest I came was the Least Killifish found at an online seller. The issue with it is for 1-3 of them, its $30-50 after shipping to get them. I was hoping I could find something maybe a tad cheaper in case there is an oops and one of them die off. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
 

Dechi

Well Known
Member
Messages
704
Reaction score
327
Experience
More than 10 years
My next project is to get a 5-8 gallon tank and make it a nice Betta home. With a nerite snail as a friend, or a few shrimps.

If you like Bettas, they are beautiful fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Dechi said:
My next project is to get a 5-8 gallon tank and make it a nice Betta home. With a nerite snail as a friend, or a few shrimps.

If you like Bettas, they are beautiful fish.
I have considered them, but people have warned about them that they can be hostile to other inhabitants and they like to jump.
 

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
4,122
Dechi said:
My next project is to get a 5-8 gallon tank and make it a nice Betta home. With a nerite snail as a friend, or a few shrimps.

If you like Bettas, they are beautiful fish.
I don't recommend bettas for the OP's setup since bettas can kill and eat shrimps.
 

Dechi

Well Known
Member
Messages
704
Reaction score
327
Experience
More than 10 years
Crispii said:
I don't recommend bettas for the OP's setup since bettas can kill and eat shrimps.
I thought shrimps would be okay with hiding places. But I missed the tank already had inhabitants. I thought the OP was starting from scratch.
 

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
4,122
Dechi said:
I thought shrimps would be okay with hiding places. But I missed the tank already had inhabitants. I thought the OP was starting from scratch.
Even if the tank was heavily planted, a betta can still predate on shrimps.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Dechi said:
I thought shrimps would be okay with hiding places. But I missed the tank already had inhabitants. I thought the OP was starting from scratch.
The tank is already setup and cycled with ground crew at work keeping it clean, just need a fish or two that will be ok with the current inhabitants

Crispii said:
Even if the tank was heavily planted, a betta can still predate on shrimps.
I am also hoping the fish will be passive enough to not stress the shrimp so they can multiply
 

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
4,122
Grimfeather said:
I am also hoping the fish will be passive enough to not stress the shrimp so they can multiply
Have you considered my suggestion?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Have you considered my suggestion?
Endlers? I think I may have to cave and get a top for the tank if I go that route. Everything Ive read about them says they are jumpers as well.
 

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,495
Reaction score
4,122
Grimfeather said:
Endlers? I think I may have to cave and get a top for the tank if I go that route. Everything Ive read about them says they are jumpers as well.
Any fish can jump, really.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Lol, I guess I should just pull my head out of my butt and stop stressing about it, then yolo it. I think I will keep finding an issue with them no matter what.
 

hanra85

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
149
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Grimfeather said:
Hello folks,

I have been out of the fish keeping for a long time and wanted to get back into and started small. I picked up an Aqueon 5.5 gallon to keep at work. I have already gone through the cycle and have 12-14 RCS, 2 Amanos and a Zebra Nerite. I am trying to find a fish(s) that can go in the tank and not be miserable. It is a planted tank with no lid. I am hoping to find an omnivorous candidate that can be ok with just 1-3 of them in there to not over load the bioload. I have scoured internet trying to find an option. The closest I came was the Least Killifish found at an online seller. The issue with it is for 1-3 of them, its $30-50 after shipping to get them. I was hoping I could find something maybe a tad cheaper in case there is an oops and one of them die off. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Some small fish like a group of Celestial Pearl Danios or ChilI Rasboras might do really well in there. They're small enough to have a group of about 6 or so in there and shouldn't bother the shrimp or snails.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
hanra85 said:
Some small fish like a group of Celestial Pearl Danios or ChilI Rasboras might do really well in there. They're small enough to have a group of about 6 or so in there and shouldn't bother the shrimp or snails.
Can you have a school of 6 in a 5.5 gallon tank?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Grimfeather

Grimfeather

Active Member
Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
27
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
I think ill go with your first option and look into the Endlers. I can keep a pair in there to start small and work my way up. They should also be a much cheaper option.
 

hanra85

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
149
Location
Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Grimfeather said:
Can you have a school of 6 in a 5.5 gallon tank?
Yeah they only get about an inch or less each. Quite hardy and a very nice looking little fish.
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
254
Guests online
3,184
Total visitors
3,438

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom