Start From Scratch?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by 2211Nighthawk, Apr 23, 2018.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

So I have wicked blue green alge issues in my 15g. Is there anything I can do other then start from scratch with new substance and toss the plants?

2. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried adjusting your light schedual?get snails? I'm not sure the difference between blue green algae but I no standard Alex can be chemical removed

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you give us more info? Height of tank? Lighting? Filter? Water movement? Tank inhabitants?

4. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Oh yeah, sorry. Tank is 12” high, lighting is just a simple fluorescent tube, not sure the exact kind. Lighting is maybe 6 hours or so but it does get some sunlight. It started when I had just a betta in it and added live plants. (I got the same stuff on a tank that got zero natural sunlight.)

Filtration was minimal water agitation with the betta but I had a small air stone so that I didn’t get that biofilm stuff. Now I have a bigger filter (don’t know the size) that kicks up more of a current. Right now I have 4 pea puffers.

To try and get rid of it I’ve got a phosphate removing powder in a sock in the filter and I’ve done full blackouts before with no difference. I’ve already ripped this tank down, but inreused the plants, substance and filter media. Obviously didn’t get it all off.

Snails I can’t keep alive in my tanks.

5. TexasDomer

I had trouble with cyano in my 15 gal pea puffer tank too. 4 is a lot in a 15 gal, especially because they're so messy. How often do you do water changes?

Here's some info if you haven't seen it already:

6. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Probably not often enough but this was going on long before the puffers. Maybe going on for 4 months or so and I’ve barely had the puffers for a month. I know I’ve always been pretty lax on waterchanges on this tank when I had the betta but again, that’s a single betta in a 15 with lots of live plants.

Just read the list and when it started, it easily could have been any of those causes.

7. TexasDomer

Yeah, it doesn't take a high bioload to have organic buildup in the tank. That with the lack of water flow and water changes could have easily sparked the problem. And once it starts, it's hard to stop.

I would try manual removal followed by water changes. It's time consuming, but it worked for me in the 15 gal (took a while, and I almost gave up!)

8. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

Okie dokie. Now that I have the puffers it defiantly has more water current then before. I also just thought of something, becuase I leave early I often (read everyday) forget to turn the kitchen light off when I leave so really they get light from 6-9pm.

9. TexasDomer

So 6 pm to 9 pm? Or 6 am to 9 pm? I thought you said 6 hours.

10. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I did. The light for the tank itself is on only 6 hours. But I leave the room light on from 6am to 9pm is. Totally forgot about that...

11. TexasDomer

Oh, gotcha. The room light shouldn't make that big of a difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice