Start a Planted Tank

1. sahmadi Initiate Member

:;hi2

Currently have a 55 gallon standard tank stocked with 2 angelfish and 10 red eye tetras. I purchased 2 600 watt metal halides with reflectors used for 90 dollars from a guy who was moving out of the country! :;banaman

I want this tank to be FANCY! Simple yet elegant, but densely planted. Like, I don't want to even be able to see the substrate!

I know that I still need:
    1) Light timer
    2) Substrate (recommendations?)
    3) CO2 system (recommendations?)
    4) Fertilizers (recommendations)

Let me know if I left anything out, or if any of the above are not necessary for success :)

Also, how long should I leave the lights on? It totals to about 20 watts per gallon.

Here's the link to the picture: http://www.myfishtank.net/mft-news/takashi-amano-planted-tanks/

Attached Files:

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Do as much research as possible. Planted tanks are awesome, but time consuming. Read all you can before you begin.
    My 55g has 54w T5 lights on 5 hours daily. I use DIY CO2, dry ferts, weekly 50% water change, and have lots of plants. I use sand w/ DIY fert tabs.
    Research your plants well. I have 9 or more variaties growing.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, Substrate can really be anything, CO2 will probably be needed if you go to a heavy hertz schedule. As for hertz it depends on how you want to do this, liquids or dry. Theres a lot you need to think about when you go this route.

4. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Gorgeous tank and fish! Always make sure to list credits for photos you use.

5. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bk:;bkAnd I stress out about the 7 plants I have in my 55 gallon. I don't think I would even attempt what you are doing. However, it is going to be gorgeous when you are done!!

Good Luck.

6. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I really like the ADA Aquasoil Amazonia. BUT.... it's pretty expensive.

7. sahmadi Initiate Member

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You can use soil if you want to but I would do a lot of reading up on Naturaly Planted Tanks aka NPT's to ensure that you get the proper soils.

You could use Flourish Excel as a carbon source for the tank.

9. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

LOL very nice!;)

10. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

11. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

the dry fertz are def the cheaper way to go and if you have the time to put into the dosing and all that then def the way to go.