Stark Is Sick Please Help

Gcstark

Reaction score
Day 3 and I don’t see improvements. Did a 100% percent change on day 1 (no meds) by day two I did a 75 percent water change using Melafix and aquarium salt measured as instructed on label. He was in his 2 gallon tank and decided to upgrade to a 5 gallon, I poured most of what was in his old tank to the new tank and added tap water. Filtered for about 2 hrs added one tablespoon of aquarium salt and new medication called Artemis unplugged the filter and I think my fish is getting worse.
I’m worried that either I am imagining he is getting worse or he is on the road to recovery? Just need someone to verify for me I don’t want to lose him Here is yesterday vs today photo

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did a 100% percent change on day 1 (no med
You should not do a 100% water change for no real reason. Not only can it stress out your fish, but it can mess up your cycle if beneficial bacteria dies off in the tank. (Your filter should hold the majority if not all your BB to support the tank, but BB also grows on all surfaces, including substrate.)

He was in his 2 gallon tank and decided to upgrade to a 5 gallon, I poured most of what was in his old tank to the new tank and added tap water
Did you use the same filter and substrate and decor? Did you dechlorinate the water?
You may have messed up the cycle. Do you know how the nitrogen cycle works?

unplugged the filter
Is there still water in the filter? Is the media (or cartridge) still wet?

If your tank isn't cycled, ammonia and nitrite could poison your fish. Do you test your water?
What is your concern? What is he doing (or not doing)?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

It say's in your aquarium info that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle (words should be link to article explaining it). I highly recommend you read up on it, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish. I think your fish is suffering the effects of being in an uncycled tank.

best of luck!

Gcstark

Reaction score
You should not do a 100% water change for no real reason. Not only can it stress out your fish, but it can mess up your cycle if beneficial bacteria dies off in the tank. (Your filter should hold the majority if not all your BB to support the tank, but BB also grows on all surfaces, including substrate.)

Did you use the same filter and substrate and decor? Did you dechlorinate the water?

If your tank isn't cycled, ammonia and nitrite could poison your fish. Do you test your water?
I have some test strips and what I think it reads is normal but I’m going to the pet store to get more cartridges and I’ll get a water test there. I have two live plants to help with oxygen and a moss ball too. Completely got rid of his plastic plants.

Welcome to FishLore!

It say's in your aquarium info that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle (words should be link to article explaining it). I highly recommend you read up on it, since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish. I think your fish is suffering the effects of being in an uncycled tank.

best of luck!
Thank you so much was definitely reading it, great information

My concern is his fins. Is dorsal fin is completely gone and is tail fin is getting shorter

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish need time to heal I would just stick with the melafix and stop doing water changes other then normal ones (once per week) and leave the melafix in the tank. Plus plug the filter back in just remove any carbon packs as it can make the medication useless.

And at this point another large water change wouldn't hurt anything to get all of the chemicals out of the water since you used multiple you probably overdosed the tank which could harm the fish long term.

Last edited:

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some test strips and what I think it reads is normal but I’m going to the pet store to get more cartridges and I’ll get a water test there. I have two live plants to help with oxygen and a moss ball too. Completely got rid of his plastic plants.

Thank you so much was definitely reading it, great information
Recommend the API Master Test Kit. Test strips are notorious for being unreliable. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully if you're testing with the API kit, especially on the nitrate test.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Day 3 and I don’t see improvements. Did a 100% percent change on day 1 (no meds) by day two I did a 75 percent water change using Melafix and aquarium salt measured as instructed on label. He was in his 2 gallon tank and decided to upgrade to a 5 gallon, I poured most of what was in his old tank to the new tank and added tap water. Filtered for about 2 hrs added one tablespoon of aquarium salt and new medication called Artemis unplugged the filter and I think my fish is getting worse.
I’m worried that either I am imagining he is getting worse or he is on the road to recovery? Just need someone to verify for me I don’t want to lose him Here is yesterday vs today photo
Hi,
You've put salt, melaluca (melafix) and some unknown 'stuff' called "Artimiss" in your tank, all at once. Who knows what's in "Artimiss"? It may contain salt and melaleuca too. I suggest doing another big water change to get all the unknowns out of your tank. Stick to ONE product. And, because yoy are new at fishkeeping, I suggest that you stick to a product that lists all the ingredients that are in it just so you know whether you are double dosing treatments or not. Turn your filter back on. Never turn your filter off and leave it off for anything but temporary maintenance and cleaning. If you are going to go with Melafix, use 1/10th the recommended dosage. Bettas are apparently very sensitive to aromatic oils (melaleuca, eucalyptus etc.) that's why API developed "Bettafix". It is 1/10th the concentration of Melafix.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Another thing once you do cure this it's going to take months or longer for the fins to grow back it might never look the same.

Gcstark

Reaction score
Hi,
You've put salt, melaluca (melafix) and some unknown 'stuff' called "Artimiss" in your tank, all at once. Who knows what's in "Artimiss"? It may contain salt and melaleuca too. I suggest doing another big water change to get all the unknowns out of your tank. Stick to ONE product. And, because yoy are new at fishkeeping, I suggest that you stick to a product that lists all the ingredients that are in it just so you know whether you are double dosing treatments or not. Turn your filter back on. Never turn your filter off and leave it off for anything but temporary maintenance and cleaning. If you are going to go with Melafix, use 1/10th the recommended dosage. Bettas are apparently very sensitive to aromatic oils (melaleuca, eucalyptus etc.) that's why API developed "Bettafix". It is 1/10th the concentration of Melafix.
Hi and no not all once I used Melafix and salt at once and because I didn’t see a change yesterday I bought a new treatment called artemiss which was recommended from the employee at petco because she let me know Melafix didn’t work for her. So I applied 1/2 of a tap and salt to the tank yesterday.

Today in the morning I turn on the filter with cartridge. What should I do at this point which back to Melafix?

This is what he looks like today

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is what he looks like today
Do a big water change to remove any salt and artemiss fron the tank first. Then remove any carbon from your filtration. Then if you're going to dose with Melafix, dose 1/10 the recommended dose on the label and otherwise follow those directions. Dilution: 1/2 ml per 10 gallons of tank water.

Gcstark

Reaction score
Okay going to do that
Do a big water change to remove any salt and artemiss fron the tank first. Then remove any carbon from your filtration. Then if you're going to dose with Melafix, dose 1/10 the recommended dose on the label and otherwise follow those directions. Dilution: 1/2 ml per 10 gallons of tank water.
So he seems worse today. No energy, isn’t hungry just lounges around which is adnormal for him. What do I do?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Okay going to do that

So he seems worse today. No energy, isn’t hungry just lounges around which is adnormal for him. What do I do?
I'd get some kanaplex and try treating him with that. Do a 50% water change first, run some carbon in your filter for a day (tomorrow) then remove it (to get rid of the Melafix and any residual Artimiss), then treat the tank with the Kanaplex (tomorrow night) at the dosage, and for the duration, exactly as specified in the medication instructions.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You may want to try soaking his food in either Garlic Guard or some of the juice from those little jars of garlic you can buy at the supermarket. Just make sure that the garlic has been packed in water and not oil. Garlic is an appetite stimulant.

Gcstark

Reaction score
Okay going to do that

So I did a change of water yesterday. 100% rinsed off everything getting from live plants, gravel, his house, filter..I mean everything and just let the filter and api tap conditioner clean everything. Long story short added in a 1/10 of Melafix like you said and he is doing much better like how he was before when he was healthy! Now my question is how do I move on from this do I continue to add medication do I change his water again? please help and thank you for your advise

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So I did a change of water yesterday. 100% rinsed off everything getting from live plants, gravel, his house, filter..I mean everything and just let the filter and api tap conditioner clean everything. Long story short added in a 1/10 of Melafix like you said and he is doing much better like how he was before when he was healthy! Now my question is how do I move on from this do I continue to add medication do I change his water again? please help and thank you for your advise
What do you mean "100% rinsed off everything getting from live plants, gravel, his house, filter.."? What did you "rinse everything" with?
What you need to do now, is read this:
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
When you are done reading that you need to go get an aquarium test kit that measures pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. (API Master Test kit is a good one)
Then let us know if you have any questions about how to start cycling your tank or the nitrogen cycle. Where are you from @Gcstark?

Gcstark

Reaction score
Well with hot water is what I meant from rinsing. I just don’t know if I should add more medicine (Melafix) or what the next steps are?
From California

I took the test and it says GH-120, KH-80, Ph-7.0, NO2 & NO3-0

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well with hot water is what I meant from rinsing. I just don’t know if I should add more medicine (Melafix) or what the next steps are?
From California

I took the test and it says GH-120, KH-80, Ph-7.0, NO2 & NO3-0
What is your ammonia level? You need a test kit that measures that too- ammonia and nitrites are the two most toxic chemicals produced in a cycling tank. To even start cycling your tank you need to know the ammonia level.
Don't rinse anything else in the tank with tap water. Everytime you do, you kill the beneficial bacteria that's trying to grow there.
If you want help, you need to at least understand the nitrogen cycle. So
Read the link I posted.
Don't add more Melafix.
Get a test kit that measures ammonia too.
Pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime. You are going to need it to protect Stark from the ammonia and nitrites being produced in the tank while it's cycling. Read what Seachem Prime is used for: Seachem - Prime

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom