StarGirl's Blackworm Experience

StarGirl

I have had some interest in my Blackworm tank I set up on Thursday April 14 2022. :)

So I am going to blog the progress and what I have done to set it up and what I do during the process. Hopefully to help others in the future on what works and what doesn't. These are all my photos. Im not sure how many are in there right now. It seemed like a Tablespoon full? At the lfs they sell them by fork fulls, so I have no idea on the amounts.

20220415_184116.jpg

From what I have read on multiple, multiple pages and videos, is that blackworms are really good live food for your fish. Probably the best live food, mainly because they don't tend to carry diseases like some other live foods. It looks pretty easy to keep them alive. The one nice thing about blackworms is you can break them up to make your culture bigger. Both sides make a new worm. There are some good YouTube videos out there.

So to start I cleaned out my 5g tank and covered the bottom, just enough to cover the bottom, with river stones gravel. It was said to use bigger size gravel so you can run a turkey baster through the gravel to collect the worms. The small stones get stuck in the end of the baster. It was very easy to collect them this way. The worms stick their heads in the gravel, so sand is not supposed to be used for this culture. They seem to be liking it pretty well so far, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

I took a well seeded sponge filter from my 55g. I use the Aquatop for up to 25g in all of my sponge filter tanks. I had to cut the uplift tube in half because the tank is only 1/2 full.

I just had a Topfin kit hood light hanging around so Im using that. You dont need a light, but it is easier to see them when collecting so anything will work.

You don't need a heater, as most people keep them in the fridge. Room temperature is fine. I guess we will see how this works in the summer when it gets really hot and all of my tanks temperature rises. :eek:

Food it sounds like you can feed them any junk food your fish don't like so it wont go to waste. I have some Spirulina wafers chunked in quarters and some Med chunk Bug bites I am going to feed them. You can give them small chunks of veggies just like you would feed your pleco also. They eat slow so at least leave it overnight. I am going to feed them 2 or 3 times a week because it said every few days.

20220416_121804.jpgSpirulina wafer.

I am going to do water changes just like a normal tank with fish. 50% weekly is my WC schedule. Feed at least twice a week. Most of the stuff I read said that blackworms fed in a tank were healthier for you fish than kept in the fridge. Something about the water gets foul fast and needs to be changed daily. You also are not feeding them. You can feed them whatever nutrients you want your fish to have. What do they call that, Gut load them?

Ok so I will skip a WC today with the rest of my tanks since its only been set up for a few days. I plan to keep an eye on the parameters of this tank for a few weeks so I know how its working. I am also going to get some more worms when I get to the Lfs.

I painted the back and bound the cords, this is my finished tank. I will post the numbers and what I did each day for a few weeks.

20220416_171453.jpg

jmaldo

watching.jpg

Used to feed freeze dried blackworms, got really expensive.
May just give this a go.

Linda1234

Is there a reason to have substrate in the tank? My initial thought was that if you could get away with no substrate they would be easier to catch.

StarGirl

Is there a reason to have substrate in the tank? My initial thought was that if you could get away with no substrate they would be easier to catch.
Yeah they said they like to hide their head in the stones. You can break them apart with the stones giving it a stir once in awhile too. Its not hard to catch them though. Thats why you leave it really shallow. You feed at the same place to get them in the area you want to catch them.

e_watson09

Interesting! I'm going to follow as this is one of the cultures I have been debating doing once I get a fishroom started. We currently have a grindal worm culture and I'm about to restart my vinegar eels (I breed fish so this is for baby fish). Really excited to read about your journey!

Also very interested to see how you end up liking using substrate. Most of the people I know that have had them did bare bottom so I'm interested to see which is better :)

StarGirl

All the videos I watched said to use large gravel, so thats what I did. Seems ok so far.

e_watson09

All the videos I watched said to use large gravel, so thats what I did. Seems ok so far.
Awesome! I'll write that down! The only time I've ever seen cultures is big established cultures so its always nice to get to see one from start to finish :)

Flyfisha

I am watching along with interest Stargirl.

I tried a culture in a ten gallon for a short time with sand as sand was what I saw them in a tank in Sydney. They do look fantastic waving in the current like wheat growing in a field. I also tried bare bottom towards the end of my short time working the culture. In a bare bottom they ball up into a mass of string around any food.
I started with a breakfast cup or more.

The big issue I had was the smell. To me it seemed the only way to limit the smell was multiply water changes. To this end Stargirl you could add more water to that tank?
Perhaps I made the mistake of keeping them at tropical room temperature, they survived 26 plus degrees centigrade but that may not have helped the smell issue ?

Always learning.

StarGirl

Yeah I think the balling thing was a reason for the substrate. Seems they do their own thing this way. I dont know anything of smell, I guess we will find that out this summer. Couldn't be worse than live brine shrimp could it?

ppate1977

This is very interesting. I'll be following your progress.

86 ssinit

Thanks for starting the thread :). What did you start with? 1 cup or more?

StarGirl

Maybe a tablespoon...lol going to get more when I can. I only have 3 Badis I am feeding mostly at the moment...

StarGirl

So today I was going to get more worms but got to doing other things. I added 1 blue RH snail to the tank.

Day 4 Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0. Not feeding today. They are not sticking out as much today as yesterday. Maybe because the food is gone for now.

86 ssinit

Maybe that snail is enjoying some of his neighbors? And not there company :eek:.

Frank the Fish guy

Trisscar

I have had some interest in my Blackworm tank I set up on Thursday April 14 2022. :)

So I am going to blog the progress and what I have done to set it up and what I do during the process. Hopefully to help others in the future on what works and what doesn't. These are all my photos. Im not sure how many are in there right now. It seemed like a Tablespoon full? At the lfs they sell them by fork fulls, so I have no idea on the amounts.

20220415_184116.jpg

From what I have read on multiple, multiple pages and videos, is that blackworms are really good live food for your fish. Probably the best live food, mainly because they don't tend to carry diseases like some other live foods. It looks pretty easy to keep them alive. The one nice thing about blackworms is you can break them up to make your culture bigger. Both sides make a new worm. There are some good YouTube videos out there.

So to start I cleaned out my 5g tank and covered the bottom, just enough to cover the bottom, with river stones gravel. It was said to use bigger size gravel so you can run a turkey baster through the gravel to collect the worms. The small stones get stuck in the end of the baster. It was very easy to collect them this way. The worms stick their heads in the gravel, so sand is not supposed to be used for this culture. They seem to be liking it pretty well so far, they are doing what they are supposed to do.

I took a well seeded sponge filter from my 55g. I use the Aquatop for up to 25g in all of my sponge filter tanks. I had to cut the uplift tube in half because the tank is only 1/2 full.

I just had a Topfin kit hood light hanging around so Im using that. You dont need a light, but it is easier to see them when collecting so anything will work.

You don't need a heater, as most people keep them in the fridge. Room temperature is fine. I guess we will see how this works in the summer when it gets really hot and all of my tanks temperature rises. :eek:

Food it sounds like you can feed them any junk food your fish don't like so it wont go to waste. I have some Spirulina wafers chunked in quarters and some Med chunk Bug bites I am going to feed them. You can give them small chunks of veggies just like you would feed your pleco also. They eat slow so at least leave it overnight. I am going to feed them 2 or 3 times a week because it said every few days.

I am going to do water changes just like a normal tank with fish. 50% weekly is my WC schedule. Feed at least twice a week. Most of the stuff I read said that blackworms fed in a tank were healthier for you fish than kept in the fridge. Something about the water gets foul fast and needs to be changed daily. You also are not feeding them. You can feed them whatever nutrients you want your fish to have. What do they call that, Gut load them?

Ok so I will skip a WC today with the rest of my tanks since its only been set up for a few days. I plan to keep an eye on the parameters of this tank for a few weeks so I know how its working. I am also going to get some more worms when I get to the Lfs.

I painted the back and bound the cords, this is my finished tank. I will post the numbers and what I did each day for a few weeks.

20220416_171453.jpg
Yeah I think the balling thing was a reason for the substrate. Seems they do their own thing this way. I dont know anything of smell, I guess we will find that out

20220415_184116.jpg

20220416_171453.jpg
I just had mine in a similar set up go through summer with the water close to 30c some days, they just tended to hide in the gavel more, I didn't notice any death from the higher temperatures but I don't think the bred as much.
Unfortunately I ended up using the tank as a hospital tank, so a very sad population count at the moment and one very happy and now healthy pepper Cory

StarGirl

Today ammonia test was zero. I think I will take the snail out. He's eating their food....lol

Chow time at the Golden Corral...

20220419_211350.jpg

StarGirl

Was away for the weekend and fed the worms when I got home. I tested the ammonia and there was a tinge of green. Probably .25. I had to do water changes today anyhow so I will see what it is tomorrow.

Frank the Fish guy

Yummy worms! Yum!!

StarGirl

Im sad to say I had to ditch my worm experiment, which was going well btw, I have to use it for a fry tank. The worms retired back to the fridge. :cool: I will try again later if I end up with a different tank for fry. Sorry Guys...:) To be continued...................

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fluffinmuffins
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cheafey
Replies
Views
Dch48