Starfish Issue

Esimm03

Hi, so back when I first set up my reef I saw these little white starfish crawling out of the live rock, there were about three, I considered removing them but I figured it was 'cool' to have starfish, I later found out I had asterina stars and at that point I had a lot in my tank, now I've got literally HUNDREDS of these tiny white devils in my tank, I didn't mind them until my zoas began to vanish, I bought a not very cheap rasta frag that lasted about a fortnight, I was thinking about getting a harlequin shrimp, however none of my lfss have any, and I have a nice tile star I'd like to keep. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to get rid of them? Like a trap of some sort (if it could sort out my bristle worms too that would be a bonus)

Thanks,
Ethan

Paper Spiders

0_0

Saltwater aquariums are a different, crazy world. I have no solutions, but am fascinated by this. Watching.

Tony_097

There was an lfs in which I frequently go to who let me sort of rent a harlequin shrimp on a 55 gallon reef for asterina who were also eating my zoas try to see if any lfs is willing to do I'm wondering if there is a trap for asterinas as I haven't heard of one of thoose

Jesterrace

Yup, you have Asterina Stars in there. As mentioned Harlequin Shrimp will help you keep the population in check (and they look cool to boot).

Esimm03

HI all, thanks for all the replies, I'd really like a harlequin shrimp however I'd like to keep my tile star (he wasn't the cheapest and is kinda cool) would they leave him alone? Or should I set up a Qt for him (I'm just worried as I know they are so picky in terms of peramiters. I don't have a sump currently however I'm upgrading to a 250 in the summer, so I will have one then that I could put him in if I get the shrimp.

Thanks,
Ethan

HDavid

They tend not to eat corals, tho if they were to eat any coral zoas and polyps are an easy meal. If you want to reduce their numbers then feeding less often is usually the go to answer. If that’s not the case then hand removal is an option. Turn off the lights and wake up at 2am with a scraper and a cup. You can also try the diy method of putting some food in a plastic bottle with weights and again removing it at 2am-ish

Latest threads

Top Bottom