Starfall's 45 Gallon Tank Build

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by StarFall, Apr 12, 2017.

1. StarFall

StarFall Valued Member Member

Hi there,
    Today I got a 45 gallon tank. It is extremely dirty, and it leaks from all 4 corners. I don't have a stand yet, and I've havent even scraped off all the old silicone yet. I hope I'll be able to turn this dirty, leaking tank into a nice and functional aquarium. I will update as often as I can. I'm working on the stocking plan still, and it will be moderately to densely planted.
    Hopefully I can add the first update tomorrow after I clean out all the gunk.

2. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

Best of luck, include some pics if you can :D

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I look forward to seeing it. :shame:

4. OP
    OP
    StarFall

I haven't cleaned it out yet, but here's what it looks like now. My cats have been sitting with it all morning trying to figure out how to get inside of it.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    StarFall

It's cleaned up, there's just a little bit of silicone I need to clean off now. I don't think I got enough silicone at the store yesterday so I'll need to get more.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    StarFall

I worked on getting the residue out for a while today, but I didn't have much time due to school work, and it got dark before I could finish. I ordered some silicone online and it should be here in a couple days. I'll be busy this weekend, but I should be able to finish on Monday if the weather's okay.

7. OP
    OP
    StarFall

The tank is cleaned up and ready to be siliconed, just waiting for the extra sealant to get here~

8. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Did you paint it?

9. OP
    OP
    StarFall

No, I just scraped all the silicone out and hosed it down. I might paint the back later on, but I don't have extra paint right now.

10. OP
    OP
    StarFall

For some reason the silicone hasn't arrived yet, and I've been thinking about how I'm going to scape the tank. I think I'm going to do a dirted tank, with low-mid light plants. Any plant reccomendations?

11. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Crypts love a dirted tank :)

12. OP
    OP
    StarFall

for some reason thd sealant isn't here yet. But I've come up with a list of plants that I'll get, and found out I'll have just enough money for them and everything else i need if my other tank sells for the price I want.

13. OP
    OP
    StarFall

The sealant finally got here, but it'll be raining all this week. Maybe I'll be able to get a head start on mineralizing the dirt while I wait for the weather to get better.

14. OP
    OP
    StarFall

I decided to seal it inside, in a room with a large window for proper ventilation. Sealing it was a real pain and if it doesn't hold water, I'm gonna give up and get something else lol. I'm not nearly enthusiastic as i was at the beginning of this project.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice