Stands-determining Weight Bearing Ability

yinoma2001

Currently I have a 20G long in my kids' room on an IKEA bookcase. It's been there for a few months and I do a check every week to make sure the structure is fine.

I'm thinking of putting a 29G high to replace the 20G long. But generally speaking, how do I determine how much weight a bookcase or dresser or any "stand" can bear?

MomeWrath

Is it the bookcase with the square cubbies? I've had one of those for ages and kept a 30 gallon saltwater tank on mine for three years, along with all the books and everything inside. Ikea's website gives you the per-shelf weight limit on their furniture. The one I have said 30lb per shelf.
Would you and anpther person be able to sit on it and watch a movie without it falling down? Then you're probably ok for a 29.

yinoma2001

Something like this but we flipped it horizontally.

MomeWrath

Something like this but we flipped it horizontally.
Yep that's the one I have. It should hold a 29 fine. Just make sure all your ikea bolts are tight
Here is mine from a few years back.
IMG_1107.JPG

MomeWrath

And after a couple re-arrangements, an attempted 90 gallon tank, I scaled back and actually did put a 29 on it... Here it is complete with Christmas village haha!
Sorry for double post

Attachments

• IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 85

JayH

If you think a 250 pound person could jump on top of it without breaking it, then it probably would support the tank. That said, I wouldn't trust it. IKEA says it's made out of particleboard. That's not structural lumber. It's also not the greatest thing around water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
20 Gallon Tank Alternate Stands
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies
Views
OhMyGoshman
Replies