Standard 55g stocking ideas

JBird

I have a newly set up (old 55g) tank cycling. I have been in this hobby for many years. Most of my set ups have been aggressive species. However, (1) biological daughter and (2) foster daughters have inspired me to do a community setup. I have no goals or specifics in mind. I have a 48" finnex 24/7 planted plus SE LED light over some low tech plants, which I planted and filled last night. (Hygro corymbosa, crypts, Java fern, bacopa, sag. subulata, etc.) I'm looking for an active and colorful tank from top to bottom. I am not interested in neon or or cardinal tetras, so exclude them. Here is a pic of the tank. Its a little cloudy from just filling and planting.
20211017_200058.jpg

Passionfish

My top fish choice: 8-10 marbled hatchet fish
My middle fish choice: 3-5 angelfish(depends on the school size of hatchet fish) OR 8-10 Buenos Aires Tetras(super active, super cool, and look kinda like mini piranhas)
My bottom fish choice: 12+ cory catfish(pick a species with a color that nicely contrasts your middle fish)

These are just my choices for a community tank, though I am planning to do a lake Malawi African Cichlid 55 gallon tank build soon.
Very nice tank btw:)

JBird

I also am creating a 55 gal tank, these are the fish i have: 5 zebra danios 2 male sword tails 2 plecos 2 Buenos aris tetras 1 opaline gourami
this is a community tank :)
i dont recommend getting the buenos aires tetras in your tank because the like to eat plants.
You're correct ... I've had BA tetras before and had to remove them for their desire to nibble on plants. Other than that, they are a great fish.
My top fish choice: 8-10 marbled hatchet fish
My middle fish choice: 3-5 angelfish(depends on the school size of hatchet fish) OR 8-10 Buenos Aires Tetras(super active, super cool, and look kinda like mini piranhas)
My bottom fish choice: 12+ cory catfish(pick a species with a color that nicely contrasts your middle fish)

These are just my choices for a community tank, though I am planning to do a lake Malawi African Cichlid 55 gallon tank build soon.
Very nice tank btw:)
Ty passion. BA tetras love to nibble on plants. I've had them before but had to remove them due to the plant damage.

Davidh9054

How about some harlequin rasboras I love mine. I’m dying to get a bigger tank so I can get a bigger school I have 12 or 14 in a 20 gallon.

Noroomforshoe

I had scissor tail rasbora a few years ago, Loved them! I got austrailian rainbows a year ago, I can get over how beautiful they are. they are both great active, peacefull middle dwelling schooler

JBird

Screenshot_20211019-144810_Samsung Internet.jpg
Can anyone identify these fish?

Noroomforshoe

I think they are barbs, the more yellow ones are possibly black ruby and the more redish one an Odessa barbs. "maybe"

JBird

I actually found out they are Mosquito Rasbora. I don't remember the scientific name. They are great looking fish and apparently very hard to keep.

Turnkeyagenda24

well, good luck then :)

JBird

well, good luck then :)
Lol ... I don't think so. I read a little about them and it was suggested to have your tank filled with water from where they live in the wild or something. Hahaha, not for me.
Serpae tetras and a school of black phantom tetras makes a colorful, and nicely contrasting, tank.
Yes sir, that would look nice. I just haven't decided on if I want a lot of smaller fish or several big fish. But that combo you suggested would look good.

Turnkeyagenda24

Hi, just changed my stocking :) i now have 4commen plecios 2 buenoes aris tetras 3 denisonii barbs 3rainbow doritys 2 bichir dinosaurs 2 julii corys. and 1 danio(i couldnt catch him to give back to the pet store.(he will probably become a snack)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChrissFishes01
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
Electrotech
Replies
Views