Stand With 1x4 For 21 Long

AsstToTheRegionalMgr

Hi

I recently built a stand using 2x4 and following Joey's (King of DIY) stand design.

I also wrapped the stand with 1/2 plywood and it's looking pretty nice (to me) and is holding my 20long well.

I got another tank..This time its a 21 gallon. It's 36 x 12 x 12. I want to build another stand but using 1x4s instead, and do not want to wrap it. I would only but a piece of plywood on top since it's rimless. Would a 1x4 be okay or is it better to just go with the 2x4s?

FishFish221

It will be okay, but will be much harder to build (I've built things out of 1x4s and 2x4s, and the 1x4s are really hard to align to drill into the side that is 1 inch wide, as well as trying to make them stand up).

AsstToTheRegionalMgr

Yea I've been reading 1x4s might not be the best. They can supposedly split when screwing and can be less stable. On the other hand, I'm considering a plywood only stand. It would have an open front and a partially open back. There would also be 2 vertical panels 12 inches apart...going for the bookshelf look for functionality and storage.

Can you think this would work?

FishFish221

Yea I've been reading 1x4s might not be the best. They can supposedly split when screwing and can be less stable. On the other hand, I'm considering a plywood only stand. It would have an open front and a partially open back. There would also be 2 vertical panels 12 inches apart...going for the bookshelf look for functionality and storage.

Can you think this would work?
It could work, but will not be very stable, and a push from the side can easily knock it over. If you decide to make it out of particle board, a panel will also have to be in the middle of the two on the sides, and then there will also has to be some support on the top or bottom half to prevent it from being easy to knock over.

AsstToTheRegionalMgr

I’m also looking to go to the lumber store to get my cuts of plywood so I need to plan out my measurements. The last piece of the puzzle is the back. There are a few ways to join the back and I drew out some of my options. Is there a plan that is preferable or one that should be avoided? I’m trying to consider strength first and aesthetics second since I am inexperienced.

-front view

IMG 1042

-Option 1 for the back (the back is on the “outside”)

IMG 1043

-Option 2 for the back (the back is sandwiched by the top and bottom

IMG 1044

-Option 3 for the back (the back is placed under the top panel as in option 2 but runs all the way down to the floor. The bottom is the same size as the shelves)

IMG 1045

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wadsjo15
  • Question
90 Gallon Tank Cinderblock stand?
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views