Stand Strong Enough For 20 Gallon ?

vikingpillage89

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's made in China but seems to be solid wood made for TV and such what you guys think I've seen guys use the cheap kalax stand front IKEA so this should be no problem right?????
20190704_104514.jpg

Fisker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Probably no issues. If you can get a couple of adult people up on there and move around without it wobbling and shifting, it should be fine.

HyX

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That looks pretty solid you should be fine long term.
I like your tank btw

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That table looks fine for a 20 gal. Figure about 200lbs. But I would’nt use it for much more. IKEA furniture is pretty basic without much structural support.

vikingpillage89

Valued Member
Reaction score
That table looks fine for a 20 gal. Figure about 200lbs. But I would’nt use it for much more. IKEA furniture is pretty basic without much structural support.
It's not IKEA its Ashley furniture hardwood I was just saying I've seen people use IKEA **** for stands fine should I worry about center sag with just that one support.

Why not brackish? That's a fun avenue to explore
Maybe a puffer would be awesome.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's made in China but seems to be solid wood made for TV and such what you guys think I've seen guys use the cheap kalax stand front IKEA so this should be no problem right?????View attachment 570614
The tank appears pretty small so it shouldn't be that bad, that said I don't trust ANY modern pre-fab stuff as it has all the build quality of cheap staples and particleboard. 2X4 or 2X6 house framing timbers are what I demand for all my tanks. For my first 36 gallon bowfront I was considering purchasing the one with the stand but after taking a look at the floor demo with no support bracing and cheap particleboard I determined that was not for me. Got with my father and we sourced some 2X4 and 2X6 framing materials and built a stand out of it. Was it super pretty? NO. Will it outlast any of the pre-fab junk? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total cost was an $8 box of screws and a few hours to put it together.

vikingpillage89

Valued Member
Reaction score
The tank appears pretty small so it shouldn't be that bad, that said I don't trust ANY modern pre-fab stuff as it has all the build quality of cheap staples and particleboard. 2X4 or 2X6 house framing timbers are what I demand for all my tanks. For my first 36 gallon bowfront I was considering purchasing the one with the stand but after taking a look at the floor demo with no support bracing and cheap particleboard I determined that was not for me. Got with my father and we sourced some 2X4 and 2X6 framing materials and built a stand out of it. Was it super pretty? NO. Will it outlast any of the pre-fab junk? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total cost was an $8 box of screws and a few hours to put it together.
I was thinking adding some 2x4 to open space directly under the tank to support In case of sagging but i had it full for a good hour no creaking or wobbles i since drained it and will cut some 2x4 tommorw the stand measure 42 inches long 20 deep and 30 high tank is 24 long 15 deep. 20 gal

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom