Stand Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tman2902, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Tman2902

Tman2902 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone the unlikely happens and I know have a 55gal tank! Got it for free only thing is I don't have a stand so I am think of using this table. More like a work bench.
    Dimensions are
    L 8' 4''
    W 2' 5 and a half''
    H 3'
    The owner of the house before my family built it. Tell me your guys thoughts want more pics or a better description? I can do that!
    And the last photo is upside down for some reason... (that is the bottom of the table)
    Thanks in advance!

-T

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Also have this card table but pretty sure it's not strong enough...
    (What the tank is resting on at the moment)

Attached Files:

3. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

If those were my only 2 options, I would go with the work table. That card table is not strong enough.

The 1 caveat, is that I am only seeing nails in the work table. I would reinforce with some screws, or maybe even some lag bolts.

4. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

The lumber appears to be used scrap, it's dried and split don't risk it. Use the card table for poker not a tank stand. Some people use cinder blocks for a cheap tank stand, google will guide your way.

5. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Didn't think the card table would cut it. Still wanted to ask. As for the wood bench. The wood maybe a tad old. However it's pretty heavy not sure if that makes a difference...

6. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

While yhe lumber in question looks thick it also shows signs of age....looks a little dry and cracked also??

A full 55g tank will weigh a few hundred pounds when full.....my advice? Google the weight and then get you and a buddy or two to lay on the shelf and see how it goes. Better you go down then 55g of water and fish!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Ok thanks! I'll get they boys and see what happens! I might be able to get some other wood to reinforce it. Do you think it would be worth it?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  8. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

A 55 gallon tank will weigh more than 500 lbs when full, that's 500 lbs for 24/7, and it looks like leveling it would be a cause for concern. Set it all up on a level patio, and see for yourself if the tank remains level ( use a level ) is it wobbly? do you hear it creaking? I am a weenie when it comes to Murphy's Law,

9. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Ok best suggestion get a proper stand. Assume you dont want to do that. Than I would reinforce the work bench. You need to add legs under where your tank will sit (bench is bigger than your tank). If you put tank at one end of bench that is needing only one set of legs (other legs are already under tank) Also suggest some diagonal bracing as this bench looks like it's taken some abuse.

good luck.

10. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Searching kijiji for a stand! If anyone has one for sale hit me up!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Tman2902, please remember that members are not allowed to buy/sell/trade/free any items until they have at least 50 posts.

12. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

Oh ya that's right... Hmmm well until then I have more questions!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. c

csawyer98 New Member Member

I wouldn't use the work bench, it shows alot of signs of aging, but if that's what you want to do, I would definitely want to replace the leg boards. They look like 4x4's and they generally aren't very expensive. And I agree, you should definately add some screws to hold everything together. If it's possible for you to purchase a stand then I would say that Drs. Foster and Smith online is a great place to start. And don't be afraid to use craigslist. I have bought a ton of equipment on there

14. OP
    OP
    Tman2902

I have a credit at Big Al's so I'm going to see if they have any on sale!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice