Stand 2200lbs Rated?

Will it hold 2000lbs?

• Total voters

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You guys think this stand will hold 2000+ pounds of tank and water? Note parameter of aquarium will sit directly on the stand framing
20190924_211321.jpg
20190924_211321.jpg
20190924_211418.jpg

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks to have minimal support to me.

Not saying it won't hold, but I couldn't say it will.

What's holding it together beyond the screws?

Your cross braces look like they are only for decoration - can't see them adding a lot of structural support.

At the very least I'd have run your inside corner pieces all the way to the top.
(Cant see how these are held in place either?).

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like it will hold well over 2000. What gallon tank is 3x5 that weighs that much? ( i'm gauging the size of the tank by the 12x12 tiles on the floor)

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like it will hold well over 2000. What gallon tank is 3x5 that weighs that much? ( i'm gauging the size of the tank by the 12x12 tiles on the floor)
Well 2000 lbs is roughly 240 US gallon

60Lx36Dx26H.?

Although looks much smaller footprint in the photo

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well 2000 lbs is roughly 240 US gallon

60Lx36Dx26H.?

Although looks much smaller footprint in the photo
Aquarium is 58x30.5x32 and is 1/2 inch glass basically 235gal

Looks to have minimal support to me.

Not saying it won't hold, but I couldn't say it will.

What's holding it together beyond the screws?

Your cross braces look like they are only for decoration - can't see them adding a lot of structural support.

At the very least I'd have run your inside corner pieces all the way to the top.
(Cant see how these are held in place either?).
The inside corner peices are only there to allow me to have more screws to hold the sides together so each corner will have 16 3.5inch screws the top of the stand is 3/4inch subflooring. In The pic included the outside of the level represents where the outside of the tank will sit. So that the sides literally are the legs of the stand and is 2x10 solid wood all the way to the ground. I'm not done putting screws in the sides I just had to charge my drill batery
20190924_215134.jpg

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquarium is 58x30.5x32 and is 1/2 inch glass basically 235gal
Your stand will hold the weight as long as the force remains even and straight down.

My concern with your design is that it looks able to move / flex / shift. If this happens all bets are off.

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The inside corner peices are only there to allow me to have more screws to hold the sides together so each corner will have 16 3.5inch screws the top of the stand is 3/4inch subflooring. In The pic included the outside of the level represents where the outside of the tank will sit. So that the sides literally are the legs of the stand and is 2x10 solid wood all the way to the ground. I'm not done putting screws in the sides I just had to charge my drill bateryView attachment 622675
Yeh - that's the problem. The wood is supposed to hold the weight not the screws.

Each screw will hold 30-50 lbs. No where near enough.

If any lateral force is applied your screws will fail and the wood will move.

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeh - that's the problem. The wood is supposed to hold the weight not the screws.

Each screw will hold 30-50 lbs. No where near enough.

If any lateral force is applied your screws will fail and the wood will move.
I don't understand how there would be any lateral force on the screws at all? With the 2x10 being solid all the way to the concrete slab floor

Nick72

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't understand how there would be any lateral force on the screws at all? With the 2x10 being solid all the way to the concrete slab floor
What's holding the top row of 2x10 to the bottom row?
If it's just gravity and the few screws in the inside corner piece I'd be worried.

If someone were to fall against the tank for instance, would the lateral pressure be enough to cause 2cm of movement - inertia and the fragility of your design would do the rest.

It's a small risk, but you are dealing with 2000+ lbs of water.

As I said from the begging it will probably hold up fine. Probably.

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What's holding the top row of 2x10 to the bottom row?
If it's just gravity and the few screws in the inside corner piece I'd be worried.

If someone were to fall against the tank for instance, would the lateral pressure be enough to cause 2cm of movement - inertia and the fragility of your design would do the rest.

It's a small risk, but you are dealing with 2000+ lbs of water.

As I said from the begging it will probably hold up fine. Probably.
As it is yes it's only the corner boards connecting the top to the bottom. You make a good point, I'll add a cross member at the seam to tie it all in more

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once there is a literal ton of downward pressure applied to it, I think you'd need to have the Hulk falling against it to get it to go out of square. Putting a horizontal piece lengthwise to tie top and bottom together would be smart, if only to keep it stable as you install the tank and then fill it.

I hope you are using wood glue as well as screws; vastly stronger.

Also, hopefully the floor is more flat and level than the one shown in the first pics. It appears that the centre is sitting on the tiles while both corners on the visible side are up in the air? Or is that just a photo effect?

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once there is a literal ton of downward pressure applied to it, I think you'd need to have the Hulk falling against it to get it to go out of square. Putting a horizontal piece lengthwise to tie top and bottom together would be smart, if only to keep it stable as you install the tank and then fill it.

I hope you are using wood glue as well as screws; vastly stronger.

Also, hopefully the floor is more flat and level than the one shown in the first pics. It appears that the centre is sitting on the tiles while both corners on the visible side are up in the air? Or is that just a photo effect?
There is a tile raised up where the picture is taken, much better where it is going

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would suggest adding two more horizontal cross braces tying the bottom pieces together like you have on the top. This will help to keep the center from bowing outwards. Ideally you'd notch the 2x10s so the screws holding the cross braces in place would be perpendicular to the force trying to spread the boards apart.

I'd also add a couple pieces of 2x4 vertically, space evenly on both long sides. This is just to resist cupping of the boards.

It wouldn't hurt to put at least a third screw into each of the boards at the corners. I'd maybe consider some metal corner braces as well. Far better to overbuild and be safe than to end up with a literal ton of water on the floor. With braces any forces trying to pull the corners apart would be shear forces against the screws rather than force pulling against the threads like it is now.

As far as strength of the materials go I think you're absolutely fine, assuming this is a glass tank supported along the edges. If there's force applied equally all across the top I think you're going to need more support in the center.

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would suggest adding two more horizontal cross braces tying the bottom pieces together like you have on the top. This will help to keep the center from bowing outwards. Ideally you'd notch the 2x10s so the screws holding the cross braces in place would be perpendicular to the force trying to spread the boards apart.

I'd also add a couple pieces of 2x4 vertically, space evenly on both long sides. This is just to resist cupping of the boards.

It wouldn't hurt to put at least a third screw into each of the boards at the corners. I'd maybe consider some metal corner braces as well. Far better to overbuild and be safe than to end up with a literal ton of water on the floor. With braces any forces trying to pull the corners apart would be shear forces against the screws rather than force pulling against the threads like it is now.

As far as strength of the materials go I think you're absolutely fine, assuming this is a glass tank supported along the edges. If there's force applied equally all across the top I think you're going to need more support in the center.

Scottnbrittany85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a glass tank with 1/2 inch glass, I definitely intend to add more screws to the corners making each joint have 4 screws plus an additional 6 into the 2x4 corner supports for a total of 20 screws per corner. I havnt done it yet because was easier to move around being able to separate the top and bottom halves. The vertical supports are a good idea and I'll get them put in once I have the stand placed where it goes, right now I still gotta get the 75 moved outta the way

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Concrete floor under the tiles right ??o_O
No basement or anything you care for under where this is going ??
I got a 180g , these things need to be considered ..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom