29 Gallon Tank Stalled Tank or Just Slow Nitrite Process?

seuleext777

Hi,
Currently in my 2nd month of fishless cycling for an axolotl.
Last time I posted on here (3/16/2021) my tank parameters were:
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

I did a 50% PWC like I was told and not much of anything changed. I dosed the ammonia back up to 2ppm and it would go down to 0-0.25 ppm in the same day.
Nitrates haven't gone down and nitrates have been fluctuating between 20-40 ppm.
I have dosed it with ammonia for probably 5 days now. I tested the tank just now and the parameters are:
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 20-40 ppm
I'm honestly really sick of this. I don't know if I should do another PWC because I feel like it will take away bacteria. I just took my golden pothos plants out because maybe that could've been a problem in some way.
Any advice? I have no idea if I should just wait it out or that I've been doing soemthing incorrectly.

Dunk2

Hi,
Currently in my 2nd month of fishless cycling for an axolotl.
Last time I posted on here (3/16/2021) my tank parameters were:
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm

I did a 50% PWC like I was told and not much of anything changed. I dosed the ammonia back up to 2ppm and it would go down to 0-0.25 ppm in the same day.
Nitrates haven't gone down and nitrates have been fluctuating between 20-40 ppm.
I have dosed it with ammonia for probably 5 days now. I tested the tank just now and the parameters are:
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 20-40 ppm
I'm honestly really sick of this. I don't know if I should do another PWC because I feel like it will take away bacteria. I just took my golden pothos plants out because maybe that could've been a problem in some way.
Any advice? I have no idea if I should just wait it out or that I've been doing soemthing incorrectly.

What brand of ammonia are you using? Are you sure it doesn’t contain any additives?

What are you using as a water conditioner or dechlorinator?

Type of filter and filter media?

Upvote 0

jtjgg

you're almost done. the nitrite phase lasts about 3 weeks. your nitrite is most likely over 5ppm. all that ammonia you've been dosing, probably like 10ppm nitrite. i'd do a large 75% water change, test the nitrite level. keep the ammonia dosed at 2ppm. do another 75% water change after a week.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
markjosephagoco
  • Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
Replies
Views