Stalled cycle??

Shelbylou93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok guys.. I’m 5 weeks in and nothing was happening cycle wise(fishless). I used stability as suggested after about a week of starting the cycle and yesterday I decided to add tetra safe start. My tank is 40 gallon tall. I have a canister filter with ceramic rings, sponges and polyfil. Temps at 76-78.My ammonia is still at 4 ppm, nitrites 0, and now nitrates are 5ppm. Is it normal to skip nitrites? Should my ammonia level be dropping if I have nitrates and no nitrites? Should I completely start over? Maybe I’m just not being patient enough here but I feel like this has stalled somehow. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Treestone

Reaction score
I find that when I use stability it completely skips nitrite and generally makes the cycling process faster so it's nothing to worry about. The stage at your at is normal to take a while but maybe adding some more stability will speed things up a bit and feeding it small amounts of ammonia or some food may help stabilise things. I gotta say though patience is key.

OP
Shelbylou93

Shelbylou93

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Should my ammonia be dropping if I have nitrates though? I’m so confused at this point lol I will add more stability. Should I completely redose with it like the bottle stays or just one dose?

Treestone

Reaction score
As more bacteria colonise, the more ammonia they feed off. I would just wait it out, maybe do a couple doses of stability. You don't need to do any water changes yet, don't mess with your media but keep a steady supply of ammonia throughout the process and the ammonia should drop eventually.

New Threads