Stalled Cycle

1. Cin'cala

Cin'cala Valued Member Member

I have been cycling a new 5G freshwater aquarium for 9 days using Dr Tim’s One and Only
    along with Dr Tim’s Ammonia Chloride. I have been trying to get this tank up and running for about 6
    Months now.
    I have switched substrates 3 times and the fish always die. I used Seachem Flourite the last time and it killed
    my plants along with the fish.
    This time I am using Fluval Stratum and Carib Sea Eco Complete. I am trying to start a Shrimp tank.

My problem is my PH is low 6.4 ppm and my Ammonia is high 4.0 ppm. I have added Lava Rocks and still the PH stays low. Here are my parameters.

Ph- 6.4
    PH- H- 7.4
    Ammonia- 4.0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 10/20 colors are too close.

I am using a sponge filter and a heater. Assorted plants- Java Ferm, Java Moss, Anubias Nana, Rosette Sword,
    Moss Balls, etc.
    Can someone tell me what to do with this tank. It has become very annoying. I have 2 other tanks and never had this much trouble starting them.

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

What’s your PH out of the tap? Also, have you replaced your sponge or rinsed it in tap water? If you’re doing a shrimp tank, I’d only dose to 1 ppm. So I’d do a water change to 1 ppm. Are you using water conditioner?

3. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

PH of tap water is 6.6 ppm. I have not replaced the sponge, it is from the previous tank, rinsed in water with Prime. I have rocks and driftwood from a cycled tank in it to. I use Prime as a conditioner. Three days ago I did a 50% water change and brought the Ammonia down to 2 ppm. The next day it was back to 4.0 ppm.
    You say I should do another water change, and bring it down to 1 ppm. Should I leave it alone after that? I also started using Seachem Stability 2 days ago, should I continue using it?

4. AquaticJ

How did the ammonia go up without you adding more?

5. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

I have no clue! On 6/16 I added Dr Tim’s One and Only. Than I added 20 drops ( 4 drops per gallon Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride, and Ammonia went to 2 ppm. The video I watched said to bring it to 4 ppm. So, the next day I added 20 more drops and it went to 4 ppm and it’s been there ever since. I did a water change and got it to 2 ppm. The next day it was back to 4. Do you think it could be the substrate?

6. AquaticJ

I'm honesty not sure, that's weird. I would try to get it down to 1 ppm still.

7. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

I know, its weird! I’m going to bring it down to 1 ppm, and then dose it back to 4ppm, and see if I can give it a jump start.
    Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

8. AquaticJ

No I'd just keep it at 1ppm, maybe 2 ppm. 4 ppm is going to take a longer time for ultimately just shrimp which don't have a high bioload.

9. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

I just read a post on dosing to 2 ppm if Ammonia drops below 1 ppm. I agree that 4 ppm is too much!
    There are so many posts on this subject on Facebook, it gets very confusing! 1 to 2 ppm sounds good. I will bring it down to 1 or 2 and try to keep it there. Is it ok to use Seachem Stability?

10. AquaticJ

Won’t hurt anything, I personally don’t use bacterial additives because they don’t work. To each his/her own. Another sure fire way to cycle the tank is to just run the sponge filter in your cycled tank for 3-4 weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

I bought a new XINYOU XY - 2835 sponge filter to cycle In another tank, and purchased a Hydor Theo submersible heater. The heater I am using is not adjustable, it keeps the tank at 78 degrees at all times, which I think is part of the problem.
    I know Stability really doesn’t do much, but I have a big bottle, might as well use it!

12. OP
    OP
    Cin'cala

I’m back and still playing with this tank! I just did a 80% water change because nitrate was high 40/80 ppm.
    There is nothing in the tank now (lost most of my plants) but, I have more plants waiting!
    Parameters before water change.
    Ph- 7.4
    Ph-h- 7.6
    Ammonia- 1.0
    Nitrite- 0/0.25
    Nitrate- 40/80.
    Parameters after water change:
    Ph- 7.2
    Ph-h- 7.4
    Ammonia- 0.25
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 40.
    Don’t know what to do! Should I leave it alone, put a fish in it, or add more ammonia?