Stalled cycle ?? Please advise.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by HOWsMom, Mar 27, 2010.

1. HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

See post here for more info.

I'm on week #3 of cycling my 32g.

I had ammonia, it was going away.
    I had nitrites, it left.
    I have nitrates like crazy and likely need a water change to bring them down.

BUT - why is my ammonia level stagnating now, without adding any new source of ammonia (I'm using household ammonia) ?

I have a couple pieces of driftwood in the tank - the pH is very low, maybe 6.0.

2. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

BB starts to fade off when the PH gets low, i think around 6.0 below.

3. Z

Zia Valued Member Member

Right after my nitrites dropped to 0 when fishless cycling, my nh3 slowed to a near stop. I added less for a week, and one morning: everything was processing in 12 hours! Hang in there!

4. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

Do you know if your pH levels have been dropping or if your water source is simply very low to begin with?

I have read that the bacteria go dormant at a pH at 6.0 or below. I don't know what the pH of your water source is, but I might consider a large water change, and then raising the ammonia level back up to 2 ppm.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

When your pH levels start to drop below 7.0 the ammonia begins to turn into ammonium. This will not prevent the tank from cycling but it will surely slow it down. Below are two links you may find helpful. I do recommend raising your pH and there are methods to do this in the 2nd link below.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Ken

6. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

Okay - I changed out about 50% of the water today. Hopefully that alone will help.
    It got rid of a lot of the tannins - my water is still coloured, but not quite looking like a tank of tea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice