Stalled Cycle- Advice wanted

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Afternoon, guys. I'm new to fishlore, but not entirely new to fish keeping. This is my first fishless cycle I have attempted, but I am a little stumped. I have read some articles on this site about some members who have had the same problem. I was hoping that those of you who had experienced this could shed some light on it for me.

Tank: 10 gallon
Ammo: 4 ppm
Ni: 0 ppm
Na: 0ppm
Temp: 85* F
pH- 7.4

The water is cloudy.
I seeded the tank with a scoop of gravel.

I have been cycling, or trying to, since the 15th. I had some movement in ammonia, but it seems my cycle has stalled. It might have been the carbon in my filter sucking some of it up. Here is what I have come up with:

1. I am waiting for my LFS to get some kH and gH tests in so that I can see if that is the problem. However, one of my other smaller tanks is producing nitrites, so I don't know if the alkalinity is the problem.

2. Could this be a phosphate problem? I've read that if this is not present, you won't see bacteria growth.

3. Could I have over saturated the tank with ammonia?

I'm open to any and all advice. I just got my new HM bettas in from Thailand so I have to keep them in QT anyway for a while. But, I would like to get them situated as soon as it is safe and I can get cycled.

Thanks.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I can't remember at what point the ammonia becomes toxic to the bacteria. I'm sure someone will be around with that.
It could very well be a nutrient issue. You may want to add a tiny amount of food (flake, pellet, whatever) to put some phosphorous and other nutrients into the water, just to see if it gets the process rolling again.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You started cycling less than 10 days ago, unfortunatly fishless cycles take at a minimum of 3 weeks. 4ppm is where you want to be until you start seeing nitrites then you can keep it lower (around 2ppm).

I would worry about your cycle stalling if you were on your 4th week or so.

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you both for the advice. Should I not have seen any nitrites at 10 days in, though? Some on my other forum say yes, some say no. And really, I'm not quite sure. ;D Because I am getting no readings at all with no ammonia movement.

Would you suggest doing a partial water change? Maybe get the ammonia down to 2ppm AND add a small amount of fish food to hit both possible issues? Or work with one variable at a time?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kupcake said:
You started cycling less than 10 days ago, unfortunatly fishless cycles take at a minimum of 3 weeks. 4ppm is where you want to be until you start seeing nitrites then you can keep it lower (around 2ppm).

I would worry about your cycle stalling if you were on your 4th week or so.
I disagree. If a tank has been seeded and there is no sign of nitrites or nitrates, I'd call that a stall. If you wait until the fourth week to address a complete lack of progress, then you're starting over fresh at the end of the month.

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully this is not an irreparable situation.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't personally think of a scoop of gravel to be seeded. I just think our opinions are diffrent

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kupcake said:
I don't personally think of a scoop of gravel to be seeded. I just think our opinions are diffrent
Why not? A small amount of gravel still contains nitrifying bacteria. Not a ton of it, but enough that there should be some sign of nitrites or nitrates after ten days.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it really depends on where that scoop of gravel came from. I have seen instant or near-instant cycles thanks to gravel on more than one occasion.

KatLovesCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok.. todays readings...

Ammo- 2ppm
NI- 0
NA-0

ph-- prolly around 7.4 didnt test, but its been constant

kh- somewhere between 80-90

gh- 61-100 (slightly hard)

reseeded the tank with some fresh gravel in a net. I swooshed it around and got a nice cloud rolling out of it. Maybe my tank will like these new parameters better. After adding more bacteria, a phosphorous source, and lowering ammonia... I don't know what it wants.

I guess right now I'll sit back and wait. Anyone see anything wrong with my parameters in the tank?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Don't see anything wrong with the parameters. Good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads