stalking tank, loach questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ashahlee, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ashahlee

ashahleeValued MemberMember

I want to add a dojo loach and a kuhli loach i was wondering if they would be compatible with:
    Balloon belly molly
    Butterfly fin pleco
    Glass catfish
    A full grow neon
    Swordtail
    And corys

I have a 55g, soon to be planted.

2. llfish

llfishWell Known MemberMember

I think loaches prefer schools..with out they will spend their time hiding, Glass catfish are schooling fish as well a group of 5 or more is recommended. Neons need schools of at least 6 or more as well....and corys too! But yes they should be compatable with all the above species. I know Dojos enjoy a lower water temperature (18-23 degrees)then some of your species however, and they can get quite large. Kuhlis would be a better choice they stay smaller I believe and are good in that 24-30 degree C temp range I am unsure about Kuhlis, someone else I am sure will chime in.

3. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Dojos tend to be a good tankmate for goldfish, whereas kuhlis are smaller and better for tropicals :)

4. OP
    OP
    ashahlee

Ive had all them before, i was wondering if the loaches would eat any of my other fish.

5. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

No, they won't eat other fish. There ARE loaches that will, but they are not the norm. Loaches will stack on a dead fish though, as will just about every other kind of fish.

And , most loaches are very social fish, so the larger the school the better.

6. OP
    OP
    ashahlee

Thankyou thats what i was hopeing. There so cute and playful. There wthe ones i was specifically interested in, how many in a group would you recommend? I was thinking loach or black ghost knife

7. Jaysee

In a 55, I would not get less than 10 kuhlis loaches. I would pass on the dojos.

The ghost knife really isn't suitable for such a small tank.

8. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

A black ghost knife WILL eat your fish. Get 5 or 6 Khulis, they act like such clowns in groups.

9. OP
    OP
    ashahlee

I figured cuz of the size they get, wasnt positive though.
    Ok thanks again iim gonna get the khulis once i finish redcorating the tank (im gonna need way more caves now) c:

10. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

Many more caves for 5 to 10 khulis though they are very cool fish.

11. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I would do about 10 or even 12 kuhli in a 55 with that stock. Dojos are bigger fans of cooler waters and BGK are, as jaysee said, too big.

12. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You also need to add some others. Glass cats and neons both need schools.

A BGK is more than too big, lol. It is WAY too big.

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Agreed!

Is your butterfly fin pleco really a pleco or is it a hillstream loach :) ?
    carol

14. Jaysee

In my experience Kuhlis like to hide under things more than in them.

15. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I have approx. 22 Kuhlis in my 75g. the bottom has stacked flat rocks as well as some wood and they love it :)
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice