Stains on white gravel after adding Amquel Plus

alexraj
HI All,

I am cycling my 29 gallon tank. After about 5 weeks, I found that my tap water contains ammonia. So, I added Amquel Plus. I have a white gravel, and now part of the gravel looks stained. Any idea how to remove this.

Thanks,
Alex.

capekate
Hello
can you describe your 'stain' on the gravel? What color it is? If it is a brown stain, its more than likely diatoms which become present in new tanks.
thanks, kate

alexraj
Thanks Kate. Yes, they are light brown stains. What is diatoms? Does it start build after 5 weeks? Is adding AmQuel plus, just a coincidence? How to get rid of it?

jsalemi
Diatoms are microscopic life that live off of phosphate (I think) in the water. It's not uncommon for them to appear in a new tank after it's finished cycling, so yea, they can build after 5 weeks. As for how to get rid of it, get some snails in the tank. Seriously, it goes away on its own after all the phosphate is gone. Live plants help speed the process, because they use the phosphate themselves.

It's most likely a coincidence that they appeared right after adding AmQuel Plus. I don't think it does anything that would increase the phosphates in the tank.

Wolfgang8810
hello alexraj I just had the same problem my tank was setup for close to 5 weeks also and brown stuff was all over everything I bought a pleco added quite a few live plants and within 2 weeks it is gone here is picture of what mine looked like. (mostly on the big silk plants in the back left

capekate
HI Alexraj
tho the diatoms are unsightly it won't affect the fish's health. What I did with mine was every time I did a water change and vacuum I cleanned off all the decorations in the bucket of tank water before I emptied it. I also vacuumed what I could up and at times even put the top layer of gravel through a sieve to clean off the diatoms. I was told that it lasts for about 6 months in a new tank, and I can tell you, by the 7th month in my tank, they were gone and the gravel is now as white as it was before. I did add oto fish to the tank and I can say from experience that they really eat that stuff up! And I believe they are much better at the job than the pleco which likes true algae and diatoms are not algae. You may want to invest in a clean up crew of about three to four otos and that should do the trick for you!
~ kate

alexraj
Thanks for all the replies. I guess it is a good sign that my tank cycle is complete. I am seeing ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at 0/0/0 level , for last 5 days. I can't wait to add more fish to my tank. First I will add 4 more tiger barbs, so that the two I have right now will be happy to find company. My next choice is to get a pleco or otto. Anyway, I am much relieved that it is not a serious health condition that I need to take care.

Thanks,
Alex.

jsalemi
A pleco may get too big for that tank, so you may want one of the smaller catfish, like a bristlenose. If you go with otos, get a least three, because they're happier in a group. If you get otos, you might want to consider some corys too -- they're wizs at cleaning up the food flakes that drop to the bottom of the tank.

alexraj
jsalemi
I know they eat algae; not sure if they're bottom feeders as well. You can check the forum for red-tails here and see.

Wolfgang8810
red tails will scavange but they like meatier foods

alexraj
Added a real plant and everything is as white as before . It also added additonal unexpected benefit. I had a glow-in-dark decoration that had white percipitation all over it, now after 4 weeks the white percipitation is reduced considerably . Hopefully it will be back to original form in few weeks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
itsEmma
Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views