Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Staghorn And Cloudy Water Battle

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Colleen B, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

I'm having a really difficult time with my 20 gallon planted tank. The staghorn and cloudy water is out of control. I'm at my wits end and need advice.

This tank is about 2 months old and fully cycled. It's a 20 long with Miracle Grow organic potting mix, a black sand cap, seriyu stone, monte carlo carpet, ludwigia palustris, paintball co2, beamswork DA Fspec light, aquaclear 50 (biomax, coarse sponge, filter floss, purigen) and a marineland biowheel (filter floss and phosguard). My light and co2 are on for 9 hours a day, 2-3 bubbles per second. I dont really use ferts because I worry it makes the algae worse. I have nilocg thrive.
    I have 4 glowlight tetras and 2 siamese algae eaters.

I've been battling this staghorn for several weeks now. I decreased lighting from 12 to 9 hours and all that did was help with my green spot algae. I tried using h2o2 a couple weeks ago, and while it completely killed the staghorn, it melted a ton of my monte carlo. the staghorn came back within 2 weeks. I turned my co2 up a couple days ago but the staghorn is growing like a weed.

Also, my water is a cloudy green/yellow murky color. No matter how many water changes I do, its cloudy again within 12 hours. I cant even see my heater or filter intakes anymore. I tried using phosguard and Purigen last week but neither of those helped. My phosphates are about 0, in the tank and the tap.

I have no idea what to do at this point. Any advice would be great. 20190415_130106.jpg20190410_194648.jpg

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I think you need to do lights out for 3-4 days to see if that helps. You can make a diy prefilter sponge with a 1/2 of a water bottle and some poly fill to see if that picks up some of the sediments. but when u remove it to clean it daily have a net under it to catch any remnants. Do some 75% WC's.. and maybe if all else fails you could try a UV setup... Just a few thoughts hope someone else can chime in with more help. Good luck

3. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

I thought about doing this but I worry about my monte carlo because it's already melting from the h2o2 I used 2 weeks ago. I think I might try it anyways...I'm desperate lol

I have pre-filter sponges on both filters :)

I thought about getting a uv sterilizer but since they're not cheap I want to make sure I tried all my other options. it would probably help with the cloudy water but would it help with the staghorn at all?

thanks!!

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I've never dealt with staghorn honestly so i was just throwing suggestions out there in hopes that maybe something would help. I found this link that i'm sure you may have already seen but worth a shot posting anyways.

spot dosing with Excel may be another option

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Its going to be tough with the Monte Carlo. I think excel will have the same effect as the peroxide did on it so use with caution. Neither will kill the plant but as you have seen may cause melt.

6. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

could you possibly pull a good size carpet of your MC and put it in a container with a light over it and treat the tank ?

7. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

the staghorn is on all the monte carlo :/

8. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

ahhhh ok so thats not an option..unless there is some that is stag fee and u can rebuild with the non affected areas?

9. Colleen BWell Known MemberMember

I'm sick of staring at this green disaster so I broke down and bought a uv sterilizer. *sigh*

10. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Some of your problem may be because you have 0 phosphates. Nutrient imbalance is often the cause of algae issues. If you have lots of light and CO2 then possibly you aren't dosing enough macro or micro ferts.