Staghorn algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by forsakenquincy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

Hi guys..refer to the title, i have a big problem with my freshwater aquarium..what is the best way to kill staghorn algae without effect shrimp or fish? Please help me guys..im still new with this kind of things.. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439210118.550758.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439210134.031857.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439210150.098087.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439210164.254462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

3. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

Thanks coradee.. Will refer to the link.. Sorry for wrong section post..Im still new in this forum..peaceāœŒ

4. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Thread moved to Algae section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

5. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

Thanks admin..btw if i got 2ft aquarium..how much dosage seachem excell should i put into tank? I try yesterday on 3ml but seems like no effect on staghorn algae..

6. DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Dosing excel will not immediately kill algae, it can help other plants outcompete the algae for nutrients.
    To use it to kill algae I believe you have to directly treat the affected area, by this I mean using a small pipette to shoot the excel directly at the algae.

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong here as I am not speaking from direct experience, this is what I have read from multiple sources when researching to combat algae myself.

7. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

Ic..hope it will clear soon..im dosing effected area only.. Currently im running 2x24w t5 + ProZ led lighting 6 hours per day.. Is that too much for my plant?

One more things is how much BPS on co2 u prefer?

8. EricVFishlore VIPMember

Amano shrimp worked really well for me when I was dealing with a staghorn outbreak a few years ago.

9. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

I've done trying shoot excel to effected area..staghorn turn into pink color..is that good?

10. forsakenquincyNew MemberMember

I got 2 big amano shrimp but still didnt touch that algae...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice