Staghorn algae issue

SuperSword48
StarGirl
Flourish is not a all in one, when did you start dosing it? Do you have pics of the algae?

SuperSword48
StarGirl said:
Flourish is not a all in one, when did you start dosing it? Do you have pics of the algae?
I started dosing this week because of the algae, I hadn’t been before which is why I believe my plants started to do worse, causing the algae. Is there something else I should be using instead of flourish? Also I believe you were helping me before on this.

StarGirl
For the Staghorn you may want some Flourish Excel (more of a algicide). For good all in one ferts try the Thrive Or Easy green lines.

Excel or peroxide can be used to spot dose small sections at a time. I would have to look up threads to know how much when.

SuperSword48
How do I help stop the growth of the algae?

StarGirl
Thats the hard part. There is a imbalance somewhere, you have to figure out what it is.

Try turning the light on for only 6 hours. Or rotate 4hrs on 3 or 4 off then 4 hrs on. It brakes the algaes cycle but your plants still get sufficient light. Is it a programmable light or on and off? Do you use a blue night cycle?

SuperSword48
StarGirl said:
Thats the hard part. There is a imbalance somewhere, you have to figure out what it is.

Try turning the light on for only 6 hours. Or rotate 4hrs on 3 or 4 off then 4 hrs on. It brakes the algaes cycle but your plants still get sufficient light. Is it a programmable light or on and off? Do you use a blue night cycle?
The light only has a 8,10 and 12 hour mode. I’ll start manually doing it though if I have too. But I’m guessing the Imbalance is iron since my water is hard and has a good amount of iron. Also what’s a blue cycle?

StarGirl
Some LED lights have a blue night "moon" cycle. Algae loves this.

I just put Staghorn algae in the search box and it came up with bunches of Staghorn threads. There are so many different situations you may want to look and see if any fit your tank situation.

SuperSword48
StarGirl said:
Some LED lights have a blue night "moon" cycle. Algae loves this.

I just put Staghorn algae in the search box and it came up with bunches of Staghorn threads. There are so many different situations you may want to look and see if any fit your tank situation.
Okay thank you!

StarGirl
Good luck! Staghorn and BBA are a pain. It seems it is pretty much try this try that see what works.

Top Bottom