Stable Walstad tank 13 gal - can I house 100 ghost shrimp?

UsernamesMustBeUnique

Basically the title, I have tons of plants, in fact, you can’t see to the end of the tank it’s like a jungle in there, my tanks been established for almost two years, I have trumpet snails, can I add 100 ghost shrimp? That’s the minimum I am allowed to buy. Thanks.

SnookusFish

It sounds like the perfect setup for neocaridina IMO. If you are buying ghosts in bulk like that its likely they are feeder sheimp and so not very healthy, they often die after a few days or weeks

BlackOsprey

You probably could in theory, but there are many better alternatives to feeder creatures bought in bulk.

Fishcat

I don’t suppose you’re anywhere near Massachusetts? I have ghost shrimp that have been breeding in my tank for a while, and I’d be happy to give you a few.

UsernamesMustBeUnique

SnookusFish said:
It sounds like the perfect setup for neocaridina IMO. If you are buying ghosts in bulk like that its likely they are feeder sheimp and so not very healthy, they often die after a few days or weeks
I don't know if they are feeder's or not my other ones had eggs, but I never saw any breed or survive, all my shrimp are gone now after a year :-(.
BlackOsprey said:
You probably could in theory, but there are many better alternatives to feeder creatures bought in bulk.
All I have is my 13 gal and my 50 gal, I'm planning on trying to breeding Betta's, but first I wanna add shrimp ofc.
Fishcat said:
I don’t suppose you’re anywhere near Massachusetts? I have ghost shrimp that have been breeding in my tank for a while, and I’d be happy to give you a few.
We are very far away, I'd have to fly to get to you ;-).

UsernamesMustBeUnique

I've also just read that Cherry Shrimp are easier to breed, so maybe I shouldn't be going for Ghost/Glass Shrimp?

SnookusFish

UsernamesMustBeUnique said:
I've also just read that Cherry Shrimp are easier to breed, so maybe I shouldn't be going for Ghost/Glass Shrimp?
That's what i recommended in the first answer.

UsernamesMustBeUnique

SnookusFish said:
That's what i recommended in the first answer.
I don't recall.

SnookusFish

UsernamesMustBeUnique said:
I don't recall.
First reply on this thread. i said, "It sounds like the perfect setup for neocaridina" cherry shrimp are neocaridina

altwitch

Shrimp if properly kept and cared for can be prolific breeders. We went from 15 to 120 in the space of about 4 months. I'm not sure what drives the 100 number, but you could start with 20 and get there quickly. Recommend having an exit plan like sale to a LFS or in other circumstances feeding to support the circle of life if you don't have objections to that sort of thing.

Redshark1

I wonder if they would use up all the minerals in that tank?

altwitch

I found mineralization to be a key part of keeping the shrimp healthy; if you do water changes regularly using tap water and not RO water that will naturally add minerals back. You can also artificially do so using shrimp salts bearing in mind if you already have minerals in the water you don't need to add as much. Best data can be gained using test kits if unsure.

BlackOsprey

Yes, cherry shrimp breed readily in a typical freshwater setup. Many people will tell you that they'll take over a tank faster as fast as guppies. Ghost shrimp require brackish conditions during their larval stage.

UsernamesMustBeUnique

SnookusFish said:
First reply on this thread. i said, "It sounds like the perfect setup for neocaridina" cherry shrimp are neocaridina
Ohhh okay. I ended up getting around 40 Neo Cherry/Orange Shrimp, they seem to be loving it! Hopefully they'll breed.
altwitch said:
Shrimp if properly kept and cared for can be prolific breeders. We went from 15 to 120 in the space of about 4 months. I'm not sure what drives the 100 number, but you could start with 20 and get there quickly. Recommend having an exit plan like sale to a LFS or in other circumstances feeding to support the circle of life if you don't have objections to that sort of thing.
It's okay, I have a 50 gal tank, I'll move some there after.
Redshark1 said:
I wonder if they would use up all the minerals in that tank?
Doubt it, my setup is Walstad method, it'll take years for the minerals to be used up, I don't think the tank will be around long enough for it to die out to be honest.
altwitch said:
I found mineralization to be a key part of keeping the shrimp healthy; if you do water changes regularly using tap water and not RO water that will naturally add minerals back. You can also artificially do so using shrimp salts bearing in mind if you already have minerals in the water you don't need to add as much. Best data can be gained using test kits if unsure.
I usually top off water and do a water change every 4 - 5 months.
BlackOsprey said:
Yes, cherry shrimp breed readily in a typical freshwater setup. Many people will tell you that they'll take over a tank faster as fast as guppies. Ghost shrimp require brackish conditions during their larval stage.
I see, I ended up getting Neo Shrimp instead. (Cherry Shrimp).

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom