SRT and blood parrot tankmates

1. Greener907

Greener907 Valued Member Member

Blood parrots

I have a SRT with 3 BP's. the BP's seem to chase/nudge each other sometimes..is 3 a good number to have or should I add another?

2. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Looks like 2 of the 3 BPs are trying to spawn

3. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Does anyone have any advice on this? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on if I wanted to add bottom feeders other than pleco? what about jumbo cory cats?

4. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

What size is the tank? Aren't the SRTs really really aggressive? I worry about the parrots' safety.....

as for 3 BPs....I think that an odd number, especially the number 3, can cause problems with fish like that. One often gets left out...and the other two will be mean to the 3rd. Unless your tank is VERY large, I would suggest getting rid of one of the 3 rather than adding a 4th though....

5. OP
    OP
    Greener907

It's a 55 gallon, hoping to upgrade to 75 or larger soon..
    My SRT is not as aggressive as they normally are, they all coexist nicely. I was thinking about removing the largest of the BP's and then maybe the smallest one would come out of hiding & be happier. I also have another community tank that I could move them to in case of an emergency with the SRTs aggressiveness.

6. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Ya, I would definitely get rid of one of the parrots.....55 is very small for 3 full sized blood parrots anyway.....And if one is being picked on, that is no good :-(

7. OP
    OP
    Greener907

That's what I was thinking too. If I take the biggest one, they other 2 are still fairly small..so I think I have at least a little while before they are going to need more space. My LFS guy said they are slow growers..

8. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Should I take the largest one out or the smallest one (the one getting picked on)? The largest one and medium one have been hanging out so idk if they're going to try to mate or not. But I'd rather take the largest one out but I won't if it may cause the medium one to be angry

9. kimberlyKeidron

kimberlyKeidron Valued Member Member

If two of them are bonded I would take the outcast out. If not the two remaining may not pair up and just continuously fight.

10. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Ok just wanted to make sure. Thank you

11. OP
    OP
    Greener907

I'm pretty positive the 2 bonded are a male and female so maybe they will try to spawn, but it's unlikely I'll get fry

12. kimberlyKeidron

Because blood parrots are a cross breed they cannot produce viable eggs when bred together unfortunately.

13. OP
    OP
    Greener907

I took the smallest one back to my LFS and the other 2 became really aggressive towards my SRT, she fends them off but is this just temporary if they're trying to spawn?

14. kimberlyKeidron

It could be that they have nowhere to direct their aggression now, so they're going after the only tank mate left. You could try and add some dither fish like a schooling fish.

15. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Like a tetra? What do you think would be a good one? I had giant danios at one point but I didn't like how big & high energy they were

16. kimberlyKeidron

I think a tetra would work. There's plenty to choose from as well.

17. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Ok cool..i would probably need to get larger tetras right? I don't think glowlight tetras or yellow fin tetras would be big enough. what do you think?

18. kimberlyKeidron

Hmm, I think if they're quick enough the should be okay. Parrots can't really do much damage, and are kind of clumsy, and in a 55 there would be plenty of space to hide if the tetras got stressed

19. OP
    OP
    Greener907

Ok, and I have a large fake driftwood thing in there that they could hide in too. Are there any other schooling fish that would be good to add? I always like to have a couple options before I go to my LFS :) I don't think I want anything large..I would rather have more of a medium one than a couple of large ones. I don't think barbs would do well if they are nippers..

20. kimberlyKeidron

I've seen a lot of aquarist with rummy nose. There's also skirt tetras, which you can mix and match colors and they will still school