Squirrelfish

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hi - i am REALLY not sure what catagory to put this under but ... has any one ever heard of a squirrelfish? its a caribeaan fish .. i have never heard of one until at a school picture for a fish project - can they be kept as pets? Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Yes i've heard of and seen them in my lfs.My book says they are shy shoaling fish that hang around under caves and are mainly nocturnal feeders. They have large eyes to aid with night vision and they are predatory. They feed on crustaceans and small fish and are part of the holocentrid family...
This is taken from The Interper Q and A manual of the marine aquarium.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thats really interesting - i am doing a school art project with water color and i am painting squirrelfish with one betta. i think it will be awesome - i am drawing my betta . Oscar Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool! sounds pretty

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks. thats my goal for when i am older - i want to get a huge 1000 gallon tank in my house and have like a ton of fish!!! especially bala sharks!!! and i would like to have sqiurrelfish too! its a long shot but, why not? Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok just be aware that bala sharks are freshwater and squirrelfish are saltwater! They cant go in the same tank...

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oh i know i want 2 huge tanks one saltwater and one freskwater! i really love fish! its my goal to have huge tanks - would a betta be able to like live happily with bala sharks and other fish in a 1,000 gallon or is that way too big for a betta? Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think that depends entirely on the betta! I'm sure as a betta owner you know full well what stubborn little personalities they have hehe

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oh yeah! Oscar is such a dork! he will go behind his plant so i will look at him from the part where the i can see him and he will scwarm out a dash - its soooo.... cute! Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
haha they have such a playful nature! Marmaduke swims up and down just desperate for attention - my mum calls him a tart cos he knows how handsome he is and he uses his looks to get all the attention he wants ;D

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
that is too cute! my sisters betta isn't all that funny cause she doesn't do anything with him but Oscar goes wild and i am trying to train him to jump out of the water - if the possible - i think it would be cute! Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah marmaduke jumps up to get his occassional bloodworm - his special trick for visitors hehe. My old betta, Taro, wouldn't jump but he would circle like a shark waiting for his food!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
oh that is just too cute!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oscar like hides in his little cave and i will go to the top of the tank and say Oscie! and he will come out of his cave up to the top of the water!! its cute!! . Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
excellent! it's like having a puppy - only wet . My valentino puffer is now more than happy to eat out of my hand - i've been trying for a while and today he took the bait hehe

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL!! yeah i geuss they are!! - i love them! and can you post a picture of the puffer for me to see? Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are some pics in the saltwater photo section...

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cool!! thanks - i love your Dory and Nemo!! lol!! Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am down to only 3 fish now - i had to get rid of one damsel because he was just SO extremely vicious but he went to a friend who has a HUGE tank and he's in the process of getting a custom made bow front - he's a lawyer so he can afford it hehe.
And I lost a clown - it jumped into the box that holds the powerhead attached to the protein skimmer so he was mushed :'( poor little guy!
So i've got the damsel, the valentini puffer and the clown. I'm hoping on tuesday to go buy some green chromis from the new lfs and another clown to keep mine company. This clown uses the marine cualpera as an anenome - its very cute!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
OOOHHH!!! cute!! sorry about your fishy!! i have two bettas and we are looking at getting another!! i am not sure if we are yet though. Miley

Miss Mouse

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lovely lovely! They're still one of my favourite fishies! What sort are yours?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom