Sprucing up a divider

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Mmbrown, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hey everybody!

So I've got a divider in my 20 long, and it's looking pretty... disappointing. It's pretty browned, I think with algae. I scrubbed it and made it a little better, but not much. Then, it just looks unnatural anyway. So I'm wondering- does anyone have a clever idea for disguising a tank divider, or at least making it look a little better? I thought about making it into a moss wall, but I worry about that totally ruining the flow on the side of the tank without the HOB.

On a similar note, I want to put a background on my 5g but feel that it makes the tank look much smaller. Thoughts on this?

Thanks guys :)

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely the moss wall will restrict flow to either side.

How about getting one of those needlepoint plastic boards ( not sure what they call them exactly ) but if you get one in a dark color such as brown, it will hide the diatoms better. Plus if you have some algae eaters ( Nerite snails work great ) they can help keep the wall cleaner without it being so noticeable.

As for the background on your 5 gallon, I would think a small pattern,print or even solid color would work okay. No big scenes, etc.

3. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

I agree with jwebbe on the nerites. We had an outbreak of brown algae in our 5 gal, it was all over the large annubias leaves, the decor, and starting on the glass. We put 2 nerites in there and they've cleaned it within a week. It was also fun watching them climb the stems on the plant and even funnier watching them eat along the galss, their tiny mouth left itty bitty nom nom nom patterns their first pass :animal0070:

4. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I have a ton of MTS, which always hang around on the darkened area. I'm sure they are eating some stuff, but I think a lot of it they still can't get. I may look into the nerites - I think they're kinda neat looking anyway :)

Thanks for the input. I hope to hear even more ideas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice