Spring/summer Temperatures

SLeroux
HI there,

In Canada we are finally seeing some warm temperatures now that Spring has arrived. I noticed over the last couple days my 60G that is set to 76/77 degrees is now sitting 80.9 with the ambient room temperature. I live in an apartment that doesn't have AC so I don't control the temperature much in spring. I do have a window unit I use for especially hot days in the summer.

I have peppered cory's that I know like to be kept at a lower temp, what are my options here? Will they be ok at the temp of the room?

Any help would be appreciated.

NavyChief20
you could build a chiller. there's some vids on it on youtube. most are pretty simple and cheap.

BReefer97
So your heater is set to 76/77 but is at 80? You would turn your heater down lower and see if that works. I had mine set to 80 but the last few days it’s gotten up to 85. I turned it down to around 75 and it’s sitting fine at 80 now.

SLeroux
The heater hasn't been on at all in the last couple days (that I have seen anyway). If I turn it down will it get too cold at night?

DoubleDutch
Pull out the heather. Let temps drop a little further than normal, leave the lid open so water can evaporate (= cooling down).
And take care for enough waterflow / aeration (that is the main issue with higher temps).

SLeroux
I think I know the problem here. I recently added more cover to the glass lids on the tank (those plastic strips that come with it) and that has really reduced my evaporation. I will remove those and take out the heater to see if that solves the issue. thanks all for the help

DoubleDutch
I think I know the problem here. I recently added more cover to the glass lids on the tank (those plastic strips that come with it) and that has really reduced my evaporation. I will remove those and take out the heater to see if that solves the issue. thanks all for the help
Only unplug it !

mattgirl
Only unplug it !
I am curious as to why you say just unplug instead of removing. I always remove mine during the summer months. I find it is a good time to clean off all the build up that has accumulated at the water line.

DoubleDutch
I am curious as to why you say just unplug instead of removing. I always remove mine during the summer months. I find it is a good time to clean off all the build up that has accumulated at the water line.
Mine are completely submerged, so no build up. I have removed some from tanks that I don't heath during the year. In the ones I do heath I only unplug and plug.in when needed.

SLeroux
Mine are completely submerged, so no build up. I have removed some from tanks that I don't heath during the year. In the ones I do heath I only unplug and plug.in when needed.
I did just unplug! Want to be sure I can easily turn back on if needed. Hadn't thought I may not need heaters in the summer.

Mine is also submerged so I clean it during water changes and it's in good shape.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi
Replies
Views
tyguy7760
Replies
Views
zeeweeling
Replies