Spring Feeder Goldfish Save!

75g Discus Tank

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

I will be buying a ton of feeder goldfish from my LFS to save them.

They will be in my water fall pond which doesn’t have too much flow and is heavily planted(s they won’t be attacked by birds, cats, or raccoons)
The only problem is that I expect them to be weak and they can get pushed over the edge and fall into the pond.

Then, they would probably be eaten by bigger koi, goldfish, and bluegill.

I will attach pics of the area tomorrow.

How would I block the goldfish from getting pushed over but not hinder the flow?

How should I QT? (What meds)

Any other tricks?

Also, the feeder goldfish they have vary from time to time so I’ll either have commons, comets, shubunkins, or a mixture of all.

JLeeM

I may be completely wrong, but this sounds super complicated.

bruh

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

I will be buying a ton of feeder goldfish from my LFS to save them.

They will be in my water fall pond which doesn’t have too much flow and is heavily planted(s they won’t be attacked by birds, cats, or raccoons)
The only problem is that I expect them to be weak and they can get pushed over the edge and fall into the pond.

Then, they would probably be eaten by bigger koi, goldfish, and bluegill.

I will attach pics of the area tomorrow.

How would I block the goldfish from getting pushed over but not hinder the flow?

How should I QT? (What meds)

Any other tricks?

Also, the feeder goldfish they have vary from time to time so I’ll either have commons, comets, shubunkins, or a mixture of all.

A screen could work. Or You could try to put a few wavemAkers by the fall to push them back into the middle?

75g Discus Tank

A screen could work. Or You could try to put a few wavemAkers by the fall to push them back into the middle?
I had a mesh there for turtles, but it’s too big for the feeder goldfish.

I do have some tiny chicken wire though. I used it to fence off anacharis from the turtles so they didn’t eat too much.

I’ll try that for the waterfall pond.

aussieJJDude

Feeders are often diseased, I know you mentioned quarantine but will highly suggest in doing so. If you don't have a spare tank, consider using some spare totes to make a DIY aquarium.

75g Discus Tank

Feeders are often diseased, I know you mentioned quarantine but will highly suggest in doing so. If you don't have a spare tank, consider using some spare totes to make a DIY aquarium.
I have a 55 gallon drum that QTed the koi that are in the pond right now.

Rtessy

Flukes are so incredibly common in goldfish, especially feeders, it's probably a good idea to treat for those right off the bat

75g Discus Tank

What kinds of meds would I need?

I know I'll need to treat for:
Flukes
Parasites
Bacteria

ANything else?

And what meds would work?

Rtessy

PraziPro is supposed to work well for flukes, I think kanaplex is good for gram negative bacteria, and PraziPro knocks our most internal parasites as well, pretty much anything worm like but is safe for snails. Others can probably offer better meds though, but this is about all I know. And nice job saving them, I hope it goes well

75g Discus Tank

I look at the feeders intensively every time I go to the store.

I got a couple of nice comets in my pond from the store by buying feeders.

They seem to be pretty healthy, so I don’t want to use a med that’s super heavy.

I saw a med that’s supposed to treat fungus and parasites in the clearance section of my LFS.

I’m going back there on Sunday to look at it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bigbro1959
Replies
Views
Gypsy13
Replies
Views
BottomDweller
Replies
Views