Spray painted the back of my 40 breeder?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by yogosans14, Aug 2, 2015.

1. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

Hello, I recently spray painted the back of my 40 breeder which will house 2 fancy goldfish. I use regular black spray paint (the tank is empty no water or anything) but I didn't put a cover over the top like a idiot and was wondering if some spray paint fumes got inside will it kill my fish?

2. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I personally wouldn't risk using the tank. Maybe someone with experience with this in particular can chime in but I wouldn't take the risk.

Live and learn, I suppose.

3. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Let it dry. Take a razor and scrape out any over spray that may have gotten in there. Fill with water and enjoy your fish.

4. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

I don't see any of the spray paint on the inside

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Then don't worry about it. But you'd be surprised how much over spay can get in a tank that you can't see until it is on a razor blade.

6. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

Ugh this sucks I'm OCD so I think I'm going to have to fork out more money for another tank :(

7. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

If you go down that route, you could always look on craigslist for a used 40B and clean it out with vinegar and water.

8. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I'll take that one then :)

I'm kidding... But you shouldn't worry too much about it. I paint things that I put into tanks. Spray bars and intake tubes and strainers I paint black because I like Eheim canisters, but not the green plastic they use.

And I've painted more tanks than I can count. I use a roller or spray them. I always tape them up with masking tape and newspaper if I spray them. But some paint still has gotten into some. I scrape it out and fill them up. No reason to spend more $ on a new tank.

9. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

I didn't use news paper or anything. Just flipped it over and spray painted.

10. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

I understand that. I'm just saying I have tanks that have had spray paint in them that was scraped out and are now full of water and fish. There is an easy solution to this problem. Just trying to save you some money....

Good luck.

11. yogosans14Valued MemberMember

But I don't see any spray paint in the tank visibly so should it be ok?

12. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

It should be ok, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to go over it with a razor blade to ensure there isn't any in the tank at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice