Spray Paint Background

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Friends.NotFood., Apr 16, 2018.

1. Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood. Valued Member Member

I was wondering, is it safe to use spray paint on the background of my tank?

2. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I used it on a new tank. Of course I sprayed it on the outside of the back. I was surprised how many coats it took to cover it thoroughly, but I am very pleased with the results.

3. OP
    OP
    Friends.NotFood.

Friends.NotFood. Valued Member Member

Cool. Thanks

4. Ohio Mark

You're welcome. Good luck!

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just do it before you add fish and water, and do the outside of the tank, not the inside :)

6. Ohio Mark

Texas Domer makes a very good point! It worked best for me to have the tank lying flat on the ground, back facing up, and I taped newspaper over the sides and the open part so I did not get spray where I did not want it.

7. Baba

Baba Well Known Member Member

Don't forget to clean the tank outside where you want to apply the coatings. Isopropyl works great.
    I would use black Plasti-Dip. this can be relatively easy peeled off in case you want to change it sometime down the road.

Be prepared to spray a lot of layers, which need to be dry between before coating the next. I didn't count but I think I have minimum 10 layers on my tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice