Spray bar setup

Redviper

I've never seen any indication of the precise way a spray bar SHOULD be setup. That being true, whenever I've configured with surface agitation in mind (O2 injection). This, for me, meant mounting at the water line pointed slightly downward. Since I have configurable kit that allows for tons agitation, I decided to confure both of my bars about 2-inches below the surface and fire downward at a 45 degree angle. Why? Because the wife has quietly complained that the constant wash of the return is annoying. Opinions and knowledge on this subject would be appreciated greatly.

WRWAquarium

One of my filters has a spray bar. I have it at a like you said around 45 degrees but maybe a cm above the surface and spraying down to drive air below and allong the waters surface.

Not sure if that's right.. It does make a bit of a tinkling noise

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

I don't think there is a right way. It depends on your objective with it. Some people use a spray bar for surface agitation, others use it to help mitigate a single strong intake into a more disbursed flow that's gentle or to help spread inline diffused CO2 around the tank better.

Upvote 0

Redviper

I don't think there is a right way. It depends on your objective with it. Some people use a spray bar for surface agitation, others use it to help mitigate a single strong intake into a more disbursed flow that's gentle or to help spread inline diffused CO2 around the tank better.

My motive exactly, with O2 diffusion in mind. I decided to ask JIC their was a methodology I wasn't aware of. I must admit though, the idea of a nearly silent tank has a weird appeal to me.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

My motive exactly, with O2 diffusion in mind. I decided to ask JIC their was a methodology I wasn't aware of. I must admit though, the idea of a nearly silent tank has a weird appeal to me.
I think you could get the best of both worlds here for your goal. Position the spray bar below the water line, but angle it up towards the surface. You can get the angle right to where its not shooting out and making any noise, but giving you really good surface agitation and gas exchange.

Upvote 0

Redviper

I think you could get the best of both worlds here for your goal. Position the spray bar below the water line, but angle it up towards the surface. You can get the angle right to where its not shooting out and making any noise, but giving you really good surface agitation and gas exchange.

I'm using a Maxspect XF350 wave maker where anything approaching 50% flow can easily turn my tank into something approaching a sub-atomic version of the great Pacific gyre. It's WAY more than I needed for a 72in. long tank, but it's great at what it does. Since today is an unscheduled maint day I've already configured both bars for silent operation. After just short of 50-years of fish keeping, it's amazing how quiet this rig is now.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I agree, there’s no right or wrong way, it depends what you want to achieve. I have spray bars in a couple of tanks. Both are about an inch under water level. One is pointed very slightly upwards so that there is some surface agitation. The other is attached to an oversized filter in a tank that contains shrimp and floating plants and I would prefer minimal water movement so I have it turned around completely so that it sprays against the glass which results in only gentle circulation.

Upvote 0

Redviper

After a few days of observation I can report that this change was a net plus. One aspect I didn't expect has appeared, less evaporation.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Drewbacca
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
jtjgg