Spotted small worms on the glass of my 10 gallon

Tex

Just spotted small worms on the glass of my 10 gallon.

I had recently moved my betta from his 2.5* (I realize a 2.5 gallon is not healthy, but I had the water tested frequently, it was cycled, I kept it clean, etc. I just was unable to set up a larger tank until recently) gallon into a new 10 gallon. His old tank had no worms (he was in there for since I got him almost 2 years ago).

I had the new 10 gallon running for around 2 weeks after setting it up (placing in sand, driftwood, plants) with a filter and old media. There were no signs of worms then, the water conditions were fine and then I put my fish in.

Tank Contents:
  • 1 betta
  • New 10 gallon
  • Cycled
    • Used old filter media
    • I also have filter floss in my filter
  • Sand substrate
    • Bought from store
  • Amazon sword plants
    • Bought from a pet store
    • I had these sitting in chlorinated water for hours before I planted them
  • Driftwood
    • Bought from a pet store
    • Soaked in chlorinated water for over a week
    • I was unable to boil it but I have poured boiling water over it multiple times and soaked it in hot water
It's been almost a week since I put my fish in. I just noticed the worms today on the glass. They're so small I can't take pictures of them; my camera can't focus. Definitely less than 1 mm in size, thin, not very long (still distinguishable as worms), I almost thought they were dust particles on the glass until I looked closer. I assume they came from the plants I purchased?

I only see them on the glass, they're not on my fish or swimming in the water. My fish has been active and healthy (no clamped fins, eats normally, etc.) and follows me around the tank.

TL;DR - small white worms, less than 1mm, too small to get pictures, in a new tank with just one fish.

Hope that wasn't too much, any help would be appreciated! I can give more info if needed, not sure how much help pictures will be.
I'm very concerned, hope my fish will be ok :").

WTFish?

Most likely they’re detritus worms, if so, they’re harmless and your fish may even snack on them. Try looking real close at the head, if it’s triangular like an anchor, it could be planeria which are parasitic. I get detritus, sometimes it’s caused from over feeding. I’ve never had planeria so I don’t have much advice on them.

Tex

It worries me since I can't tell apart the head shape :"D, they're too small. It doesn't look like planeria to me, but the detritus worms I have seen have been larger and not as small as the worms I see now. I have thought about them potentially being other worms like rhabdocoela, but just too small for me to distinguish.

richiep

As WTFish? As said probably detritus and nothing to worry about even if they are planaria they won't harm the betta in fact you fish will probably eat them, all tanks get this sort of thing come and go, try and give the best photo you can and maybe they can be identified

Rye3434

Planaria are capable of harming very small baby shrimp by "stinging" them, your betta will be just fine .

richiep

Planaria are capable of harming very small baby shrimp by "stinging" them, your betta will be just fine .
Planaria don't sting they do get into the gills of some fish and irritate them with shrimp they get up underneath the carapace where they eat the shrimp from the inside, the only stinging type bug we get is Hydra they sting shrimp and small fish which paralyzes them and death follows

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views
MJP55
Replies
Views