Spotted Puffer Or Pea Puffer?

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by kayla.s, Jul 30, 2017.

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I have done research on the pea puffer, but not the spotted puffer. I wanted to know some of the major differences between the two as my lfs only seems to have spotted puffers (which are a bit cuter in my opinion). Love their little spots, lol :playful:

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Major difference is that pea puffers are truly freshwater while GSPs need brackish water.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You would need to add marine salt, but aquarium salt should do the work.

5. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

And tank sizing? How big do the spotted ones get?

6. smitty23

smitty23 Valued Member Member

I have a spotted Congo puffer I'm trying to sell. May be out of your price range, though. True freshwater.

7. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

It's more location that I'm worried about... I don't want to have to ship a fish from overseas @smitty23 :emoji_see_no_evil:

8. smitty23

they get about 4inch max. I live in IL

9. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Is that the spotted puffer? I live in SA so I don't think it'll work @smitty23 sorry

10. smitty23

Yes. Anything a 29 gal or bigger would work great. They are good community tank fish, as well.

It's a spotted Congo puffer....tetradon schoutedeni

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Oh sorry, thought you meant the green spotted puffer

12. Aquaphobia

No, aquarium salt will not do the trick. Use proper marine salt. It's a mix of mineral salts and not just the stuff people like to put on french fries.

13. star17325

star17325 Valued Member Member

Yes marine salt, aquarium salt will not make brackish water. You would also need a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the SG of the water. Personally I would go with the Refractometer, it's more accurate.

14. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

GSP can get around 6in and need a minimum of 30gallons and they are major fin nippers. They are brackish as well.

Dwarf Pea Puffers get around 1in and need a 5gallon minimum and they are only good in species only tanks. They are truly freshwater.

15. smitty23

Personally owning a fahaka, I would save the money. If you have the space for a 120gal or so. I bought my guy for 14 bucks. In about 8 months he's grown from 1/2" to almost 7inches. They get around 18inches. Hence, why you need the large tank. It is easily the most interactive fish I've kept over the years. They say Oscars are the dog's of aquaria. I say to them a larger fresh water puffer is. Completely amazing fish. Mine let's me pet him. Just don't pet when they are puffed. They are 1000 times more potent than cyanide. haha

If space and money is a factor. I'd shy away from a gsp or spotted. They go from fresh to brackish in adulthood most make it to the ocean making it a complete marine puffer. Pea Puffer or a more rare fresh would be the way to go, but most puffers are species only, which means one fish one tank or multiples of same fish. They are adorable, but all are killers of smaller prey.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  16. Kenny777

What size tank are you planning to get?

17. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

Hmm, think I'll just stick to the pea puffer then... not looking to get a massive tank and I already have a 15 set up :) thanks for all the input!

18. smitty23

Dental work needs to be done if you don't keep a steady muscle/snail/crawfish diet. Their teeth will continue to go, and they will starve to death, because of their continue growing beaks. Just trying to give help. I know when I bought my 2 puffers research was key. There is so much info needed to keep puffers.

Good call Kayla. Make sure you have a lfs that keeps parasite free snails. Or set up a different smaller tank for snails. You'll thank me later. I promise. I used to drive round trip an hour to a store for snails. Finally broke down have a great small snail/crawfish tank. You'll love them!

You can get nuisance snail colonies growing with just a couple of the same snails. I'd shy away from Malaysian Trumpet snails. They can break beaks. Ramshorn or nitrile snails are the way to go. You just can't raise a colony in a puffer tank. They'll kill them all. Most people dang near give these snails away. For new puffer owners they are gold.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  19. Kenny777

You could do 5-6 dwarf puffers IMO in the 15g. For the first dwarf puffer it's 5gallons and every additional one is +2gallons.

20. Aquaphobia

Agree with everything @smitty23 said. I've got my first pea puffer in an established 5g with a healthy population of bladder snails. In less than a week I'm having to harvest snails from other tanks because he's decimated them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice