Question Spotted Green Puffer & Pleco? Tankmates?

PomGirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 20 gallon tank with one 7 inch pleco. I am thinking about adding 1-2 puffers, but not sure if this is a good idea. I have wanted puffers for 2 years now, but have never had the right setup for them (always had other small fish) & now I possibly do. I have no experience with puffers, so I am posting this question in hopes of you puffer experts out there advising.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

Green Spotted Puffers are brackish so they need marine salt in there tank. A Pleco can't be in a tank with salt so I'm sorry but they will absolutely not work together. Dwarf Puffers are fresh water so they might be a possibility.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No problem. It may be a good idea to think about rehoming the pleco. He will grow to a size that is bigger than the tank you have now. I'll let others advise you on the tiger barbs because I've never had them but I know they get to be about 3 inches. The pleco is a giant poop machine and with him gone you would have a lot more choices in your stocking.

Now for some more advice that you didn't ask for... I'm sorry... I would stop using the ph regulator. Most fish will adjust to whatever ph you have. It's more important to keep the ph stable. When you have to add something to keep the ph stable it just increases the likelihood of a ph swing. Common plecos are tough but I would hate to see you lose a new fish.

I have Green Spotted Puffers in a 55 gallon. You should watch for a cheap tank on Craigslist so you could start a brackish tank. They are awesome!

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Suemvb has said everything I was going to say. I don't have anything else to add, other than
Welcome to Fishlore!
;D

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 to suemvb

I wouldn't put a dwarf puffer with such a big pleco. Dwarf puffers only get 1 inch big. If you want a dwarf puffer, I would suggest having a 5 gallon for 1 or if you want 2, a 10 gallon.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
+1 to suemvb

I wouldn't put a dwarf puffer with such a big pleco. Dwarf puffers only get 1 inch big. If you want a dwarf puffer, I would suggest having a 5 gallon for 1 or if you want 2, a 10 gallon.
I agree, I wouldn't put a dwarf puffer in with a pleco... but not because the pleco would be too big. I keep tetras that are no bigger than a dwarf puffer in the same tank as my pleco. The thing doesn't care.
No, the problem is that dwarf puffers have been known to take bites out of larger fish. I've even heard of an oscar being severely injured by a dwarf puffer.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, I wouldn't put a dwarf puffer in with a pleco... but not because the pleco would be too big. I keep tetras that are no bigger than a dwarf puffer in the same tank as my pleco. The thing doesn't care.
No, the problem is that dwarf puffers have been known to take bites out of larger fish. I've even heard of an oscar being severely injured by a dwarf puffer.
True. Those little guys can cause serious damage. Mine don't even do well with otos, the only known tankmates to work with them.

On the other hand, they're just so tiny so I'm always worried that if they got on the bad side of a bigger fish they could get swallowed

PomGirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments! You all have been a big help. I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon that I'm not using. My daughter has wanted a puffer for so long, but I was just worried that they would also be too much maintainance.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
On the other hand, they're just so tiny so I'm always worried that if they got on the bad side of a bigger fish they could get swallowed
Also a possibility. Plecos aren't hunters, however, so they're not really a concern.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone for the advice and comments! You all have been a big help. I have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon that I'm not using. My daughter has wanted a puffer for so long, but I was just worried that they would also be too much maintainance.
She'll love the dwarf puffers I say use the 10 gallon for 2 of them. One of mine is not shy at all and quite intelligent. Just make sure there are tall decors so they can get away from each other when they want to.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom