Spotted Corys

1. molliesrevil Initiate Member

i stumbled across this forum and decided I might drop a line. I bought 3 Spotted cories last night for my tank, and now, less than 18 hours since they were introduced, 2 are dead and the last is very sluggish, and they look like the 2 bled out internally. Any ideas?

Before you ask, the tank's ammonia level is 1.0 ppm, and the nitrite level is 0.1 ppm
    I dont have a nitrate test.
    pH 7.0 Hardness is 4.

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

How did you acclimate them? Did you just put them in the tank, or did you float the bag, or did you mix the water into the bag while floating? Corydoras are pretty tough to acclimate sometimes. Usually it's best to float the bag in the tank and gradually add water to the bag for about an hour or so, sometimes less. This will get them used to it much easier.

3. molliesrevil Initiate Member

they were acclimateed over about 30 minutes

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Any Ammonia and Nitrite readings at all are really bad. The Ammonia probably killed them. It sounds like your tank hasn't finished cycling.

5. bullhorsetook Initiate Member

The ammonia sounds like a real possibility. Where did you purchase them from? I have learned that significant differences in the water quality of two tanks can cause RDS (Rapid Death Syndrome). I prefer to buy from an established 'fish person' for the simple reason that they are more likely to take the hobby very serious and have their water quality in tiptop shape.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Corys are very sensitive to any Ammonia or Nitrites, so therefore are not good first fish in a tank. By your reading I would say your tank isn't finished cycling and would suggest you not add any more fish until it has finished. what other fish are in the tank? Here is some good reading to help you on your way. Let us know if we can help :)
    https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=620.0
    Carol

7. molliesrevil Initiate Member

18 Zebra danios
    14 Neon tetras
    4 Austrailian rainbows(I think thats what they are called)
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    1 Betta
    9 Baby black Mollies (parents were too aggressive, were returned to the pet store)

lots of live plants

this is a 90 gallon tank by the way

the nitrite and ammonia lvels are up due to a 2 day power failure

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I definately think the ammonia and nitrites are what did your corys in. Just play it cool for now until you get your bacteria built back up before adding any more fishies to your tank. I'm sorry about the power failure. I'm glad to hear though that your other fish seem to be handling it well. ;)