Spotted Congo Puffer Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by ystrout, Mar 1, 2019.

1. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with spotted congo puffers (tetraodon schoutedeni)? They're pretty rare but I have the opportunity to get one.

Almost everything I have read online says they're one of the only puffers that are good community fish (along with MBUs in HUGE tanks). This puffer would go in my 75 gallon community tank.

The current stocking is:
    1 x dwarf gourami
    6 x pearl danios
    7 x rummynose tetras
    6 x neon tetras
    Some cories, a couple nerite snails (which can be moved)
    A ton of RCS, which my fish keep in check by eating the babies the can catch

It's a planted tank with the following parameters:
    Temp - 75 F most of the year, 77 in the summer
    Ammonia/nitrite - 0
    nitrate - 5 to 10
    ph - 7.5

Thoughts?

2. Puffer_WhispererValued MemberMember

Personally, I've never kept a spotted Congo puffer. However, I do know your cherry shrimp will not last. A 75 gallon is big enough, but make sure it has a lot of plants in it. They are not known for being aggressive, but if they have no line of sight breakers, or have no hiding spaces, aggression is unavoidable. Finally, your current fish should be safe to keep with it. Just make sure you don't put any fish in there with long fins. They are too tempting not to pick at.

3. leftswerveWell Known MemberMember

Wouldn't trust it. Not sure where you got your info, but be ready to separate it if need.

4. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

I visited the at his house yesterday and saw his fishroom and all the puffers. They're definitely not like most puffers. They're friendly towards all other fish, even each other, apparently until it's time to breed. He told me the males can get aggressive towards the females when breeding. But no aggression towards community fish.

I watched them with a bunch of peacock gobies, cories etc. and they were fine. Also saw tons of videos of full grown ones living alongside rummynose tetras and other small fish without issue.

I'm now not concerned at all about my other fish getting hurt by the puffers. I have the slightest concern that the danios will initially stress it out as they get spastic when change happens, but that only lasts a few minutes. I'm hoping there won't be any issue with the gourm and puffer, but if there is, I'm setting up my old 20G long and cycling another filter alongside my established filter just in case. This would be temporary as I wouldn't keep a gourami or puffer in a 20 gallon long term. I'd probably get a 40 gallon breeder for the gourami to live with shrimp (which he loves to eat) and danios.

But in all honesty, I don't expect any issue at all. These puffers were the sweetest things and showed no sign of aggression. My danios are friendly but as spazzes which would only be an issue for 5 minutes. And the only aggression the gourm has ever had was a quick chase when the danois get in his business too much.

As for the shrimp, I hope he eats a bunch of them, especially the babies. They are breeding faster than I want them too. My gourami eats a bunch, but he needs help keeping the population in check.

5. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

I was skeptical too. But try watching youtube videos of them and you'll see what I mean. They have the temperament of MBUs and look very similar to GSPs. They're honestly a perfect freshwater puffer from what I've seen.

I'm getting him in 2 weeks once my snail farm is up and running and partially re-scape the tank to encourage fish to live more where the shrimp do. I'll post on how everything goes in a few weeks.

I'm so excited!

6. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

if you want to get rid of some rcs you know who to tell ;)

7. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

I'm in San Diego. If anyone wants some, shoot me a message! I'm happy to send people home with some of my extras.

A lot of them are mutts though but some are very nice. I don't cull any, just let them run rampant and make any color babies that nature decides on.

8. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

pictures of them? can you ship?

9. ystroutWell Known MemberMember

I have blue, red, and mixed gray/black/ and I even saw a greenish black one. I don't have pics that aren't super blurry on me at the moment, but they're by no means show shrimp. They're fun though because they all came from the original 10 I bought.

At this point I'd rather not ship. It's just extra work and I'm so busy with all of my hobbies and work that I just like to relax and watch my fish and cook dinner on my downtime at home.

If you, or anyone else, is ever in San Diego (North County) I'll give away some for free! Just bring a bag or bucket.