Spots!!!!!

lil_misfortune

Reaction score
I just noticed that one of my angelfish had 3 black spots on one side of its body.they weren't there yesterday. They're really small but they are there. And both of them have some sort of blackish tinge on the tip of their top fin. I have quarrantined them already so what else should I do?

-Jeanette thanks in advance

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How large is your tank and how many (and what fish) are in it? How long have you had this tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Whenever there is a fish disease, the first thing I do is I ask about ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Fish usually get sick from poor water quality or overstocking, as well as from newly-bought and sick fish.

lil_misfortune

Reaction score
My tank is a ten gallon and in it are 6 fish: 2 Balas, 2 plecos, and the two angelfish. My readings are all normal.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know it may upset you, but your tank will be VERY overstocked when your fish grow up. For all the fish you have, you need some 150 gallon tank at least. Here is some info about Bala Sharks, Plecos, and Angelfish that you should consider:

Bala Shark
Pleco
Angelfish

Can you give me the numbers of your parameters? That is, an exact numerical reading for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Thank you. It seems to me that your Angelfish may be getting sick from overstocking. I am also not sure if Bala Sharks are compatible with Angelfish (but I may be wrong). The reason you need around a 150 gallon tank is because of the Bala Shark size when it grows up. Also, Plecos need at least 75 gallons. As for Angelfish, I would personally NOT keep them in anything smaller than 30 gallons, and they should preferably have at least 50 gallons of space if one can provide them with that.

I know it may upset you, but this is the truth. This is why it is ALWAYS very important to research various types of fish BEFORE you actually buy the fish.

lil_misfortune

Reaction score
I hadn't known that until about two weeks ago so i'm already saving up some money to buy a bigger tank. As for my water parameters the Nitrite levels are currently about 0, nitrate about 3, and ammonia is 0. I'm going to change the water as soon as I can. Untill than I'm going to keep them quarrantined from the rest of the cuties, I love them sooooo much ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, that's great What tank size are you thinking about? Your parameters are very good. Zero ammonia and zero nitrite is perfect. A nitrate level of 3 is very good as well. As long as you don't go over 20 ppm of nitrate, you should be fine (some people will say that up to 40 ppm nitrate is safe, but I don't believe that). But, of course, it's always best to keep nitrate as low as possible. And ammonia and nitrite should always be at 0 as even a tiny amount of these two compounds can easily kill your fish, or make them very sick.

If you're thinking about a tank of something like 120 - 150 gallons, then your Bala Sharks will be fine. If you want something smaller, I really don't know (it says on the website I gave you that Balas need at least 120 gallons). For Plecos and Angelfish together, at least a 75 gallon tank should suffice. For Angelfish alone, at least a 30 gallon tank should be OK (but a larger one would be even better).

As for the black spots on your Angelfish, I really don't know what they can be, considering that your water quality is good. Did you observe whether any other fish in the tank are harassing the Angel? You should go to the Diseases board and check the Disease Charts. Maybe you will be able to find something there about your fish's disease (if it is - in fact - sick). Best of luck with your Angelfish.

lil_misfortune

Reaction score
I woke up this morning and my angelfish had no spots on it anymore ??? I didn't do anything different than what i normally do. My other fish don't have the spots either. The tinge is still there. I'm confused.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If the spots are gone, then that's great news Just keep checking your water parameters and keep maintaining your water clean.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom