Spots showed up - Whats Wrong With My Betta?

ktysonb
Today these spots showed up on my fish. Water parameters are great with the exception of a high PH of 8.4. Fish is acting normally. Should I be worried?
20180627_122119.jpg
20180627_122119.jpg
20180627_122308.jpg
20180627_122308.jpg

FishFor2018
Looks like Ich. I would try to lower the ph level slowly since betta's prefer to have a 7.0. Do you know how to treat Ich?

Gypsy13
Let me see if we can get some eyes on your darling.
Hey finnipper59 wanna check this for possible ich please? Thank you.

FishFor2018
What size tank is he in?

Gypsy13
Very nice. Thank you.

IHaveADogToo
Yes, that is Ich, but no, I would NOT mess with the pH. Fish prefer a stable pH over a tank where the fishkeeper keeps messing with the pH trying to hit a target number.

Gypsy13
Yes, that is Ich, but no, I would NOT mess with the pH. Fish prefer a stable pH over a tank where the fishkeeper keeps messing with the pH trying to hit a target number.

This is good information and we all appreciate it. Fishlover00 too. Let’s deal with the ich problem for the OP then we can help with parameters? Deal?

FishFor2018
This is good information and we all appreciate it. Fishlover00 too. Let’s deal with the ich problem for the OP then we can help with parameters? Deal?
Yes. I didn't mean for it to sound like the Ph needed to be dealt with right away lol

Dch48
It could be ich but it could also be just food debris from when he eats. Mine has had a few spots like that after picking at pleco wafers and they go away. Is the fish rubbing or scratching himself against anything?

ktysonb
Thanks guys. He is in a 5 gal tank with 3 neon tetras. The instructions say remove him in another tank. Can I just treat the whole tank he is currently in and thereby prophylactically treat the tetras at the same time??

Gypsy13
ktysonb
Do you have a heater in there with him? Keeping the water super clean and 80-82 degrees will help with the ich. Watch the video and you’ll learn everything you need to know to treat your betta. Keep us posted? Please?
No current heater. His water stays around 75 degrees. Do I really need a heater?

Gypsy13
Thanks guys. He is in a 5 gal tank with 3 neon tetras. The instructions say remove him in another tank. Can I just treat the whole tank he is currently in and thereby prophylactically treat the tetras at the same time??

Yes you can and should.

FishFor2018
No current heater. His water stays around 75 degrees. Do I really need a heater?
To treat the ich faster and make sure its gone,yes but if the water is at 75 all the time then no its not necessary
EDIT: Its not necessary for when he doesn't have ich

finnipper59
Sure looks enough like ich enough to me that it's exactly what I would be treating it and the entire tank for right now.
Let me see if we can get some eyes on your darling.
Hey finnipper59 wanna check this for possible ich please? Thank you.

Gypsy13

Yes. They like warm water. Do you have a filter? Warm water truly will help with the ich too.

Dch48
75 is a little cool for a Betta. They like it from 77-82 usually. I would keep a close eye on him before adding any meds. If the spots increase, then medicate. If they decrease or go away, then it's not Ich. It probably is though. If it is and the other fish don't have spots, they will soon. I didn't see any spots on the fins. Are there any?

FishFor2018
Hydor Betta & Betta Bowl SlI'm Heater, 7.5-watt, this would be a good heater, Its $11 on Chewy or $12 in Petco

IHaveADogToo
Bad advice at this link. The link says to remove the fish from their tank for treatment. No, you need to treat the fish in their main tank. It says to raise the temp no higher than 82. No, 86 is the minimum temp to kill ich. It jumps right to "dump a bunch of medication into the tank"... again, No.

All you need to do to cure ich is raise the temp of the tank to AT LEAST 86 degrees. For a betta, you could actually raise it to 90 degrees, and the betta will be fine. 90 degrees is the recommended temperature to kill ich. Some people suggest 86 because that is the minimum temperature to kill ich, and some fish can't handle 90 degrees. But a betta can handle that temp just fine. Bettas like temperatures normally between 77 and 82 degrees, so you should have a heater anyway, but you really need to crank that heater up to kill ich.

If you want to add something to the water, use aquarium salt. Not medication. Not Epson Salt, or marine salt, or table salt, or sea salt.... Aquarium Salt. Follow the directions on the package exactly.

Keep the temperature raised for 2 weeks. In the first week, all the ich parasites living in the betta will die. But new spores will be produced and, if you stop treatment after only 1 week or less, the ich will come back. Continuing heat treatment for an additional week will ensure all the spores are dead.

Gypsy13
75 is a little cool for a Betta. They like it from 77-82 usually. I would keep a close eye on him before adding any meds. If the spots increase, then medicate. If they decrease or go away, then it's not Ich. I didn't see any spots on the fins. Are there any?

According to my husband, yes. The spot on the tail may be something floating in the water but there’s some on the dorsal and pectoral

Gypsy13
Ok. This is turning into one of those I’m right and they’re wrong threads. I give the best advice I’m able from my experience. But I don’t want to confuse the OP any more. The video link is valid. There are other fish in this tank as well. If we all read all of the posts, we’ll be better prepared to give our advice. He’s already been told he doesn’t have to take the betta out of the tank. ktysonb I hope you look at the video. I hope you buy a heater and I very much hope you keep us posted. Please?

finnipper59
Ok. This is turning into one of those I’m right and they’re wrong threads. I give the best advice I’m able from my experience. But I don’t want to confuse the OP any more. The video link is valid. There are other fish in this tank as well. If we all read all of the posts, we’ll be better prepared to give our advice. He’s already been told he doesn’t have to take the betta out of the tank. ktysonb I hope you look at the video. I hope you buy a heater and I very much hope you keep us posted. Please?
I agree with warm water just because bettas like 82 degrees. Screw the salt unless you're going to eat it and get some laboratory tested antiparacitic medication that kills a deadly paracite known as ich. You follow directions on the package, kill the ich, and save the betta that is currently being eaten alive by a paracitic invert.

FishFor2018
I agree with warm water just because bettas like 82 degrees. Screw the salt unless you're going to eat it and get some laboratory tested antiparacitic medication that kills a deadly paracite known as ich. You follow directions on the package, kill the ich, and save the betta that is currently being eaten alive by a paracitic invert.
I agree

Dch48
It is not the temperature that kills the Ich. The higher temp speeds up the parasites life cycle so the big one dies after releasing it's young into the water. The medication kills the young parasites and prevents them from attaching themselves. The medication usually has little to no effect on the adult parasites causing the spots. You need the higher temp plus the meds to be successful at eradicating the parasitic organisms. Salt works for some things but usually not for Ich unless the tank is heavily salted which you would not want to do.

finnipper59
That's in total agreement to what I said except I forgot to mention that it's the unattached offspring that actually gets killed by the medication.
It is not the temperature that kills the Ich. The higher temp speeds up the parasites life cycle so the big one dies after releasing it's young into the water. The medication kills the young parasites and prevents them from attaching themselves. The medication usually has little to no effect on the adult parasites causing the spots. You need the higher temp plus the meds to be successful at eradicating the parasitic organisms. Salt works for some things but usually not for Ich unless the tank is heavily salted which you would not want to do.

Algonquin
Just wanted to point out that the OP said they've also got 3 Neon Tetras in this tank - not sure how they will feel about the temp being raised up so high? I believe they like it a bit cooler than a betta...
The tank is a bit overstocked in my opinion, but I think that's a topic best left for another post, if the OP is wanting to discuss first thing's first, let's take care of the ich.

ktysonb
Thanks for all the posts. Yes my tank is probably overstocked....but I really think I can make it work. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. Anyways....for an update I am increasing temp to 80 degrees and I dosed the entire tank with medication. Hope this works.

FishFor2018
Thanks for all the posts. Yes my tank is probably overstocked....but I really think I can make it work. Maybe I'm being unrealistic. Anyways....for an update I am increasing temp to 80 degrees and I dosed the entire tank with medication. Hope this works.
We all hope it works. Good luck! Keep us updated

Gypsy13
Thinking positive thoughts.

ktysonb
Hey all just wanted to post an update. Betta is doing great. The Ick seems to have been eradicated. Fish are doing great. Thanks for all your help.

Dch48
Hey all just wanted to post an update. Betta is doing great. The Ick seems to have been eradicated. Fish are doing great. Thanks for all your help.
Great news. Ich is much more easily eradicated these days than back when I had my first tank. Back then, it was almost always a death sentence.

Algonquin
Thanks for updating us! I'm so glad the ich is gone and the fish are doing better!
Please do give some thought to your stocking though, you may find over time that the stress on the fish makes them more susceptible to illness. The neons would be happier in a school of 6+ (not in a 5 gallon) and a bit lower temp. Keep a close eye on those little fishes and good luck!

Goldiemom
I ag
Bad advice at this link. The link says to remove the fish from their tank for treatment. No, you need to treat the fish in their main tank. It says to raise the temp no higher than 82. No, 86 is the minimum temp to kill ich. It jumps right to "dump a bunch of medication into the tank"... again, No.

All you need to do to cure ich is raise the temp of the tank to AT LEAST 86 degrees. For a betta, you could actually raise it to 90 degrees, and the betta will be fine. 90 degrees is the recommended temperature to kill ich. Some people suggest 86 because that is the minimum temperature to kill ich, and some fish can't handle 90 degrees. But a betta can handle that temp just fine. Bettas like temperatures normally between 77 and 82 degrees, so you should have a heater anyway, but you really need to crank that heater up to kill ich.

If you want to add something to the water, use aquarium salt. Not medication. Not Epson Salt, or marine salt, or table salt, or sea salt.... Aquarium Salt. Follow the directions on the package exactly.

Keep the temperature raised for 2 weeks. In the first week, all the ich parasites living in the betta will die. But new spores will be produced and, if you stop treatment after only 1 week or less, the ich will come back. Continuing heat treatment for an additional week will ensure all the spores are dead.
I agree with this info. No need really to add the salt though. Just keep the heat at 86F and vac the subtrate every couple of days to pick up spores. Betta will be fine. Treat the entire tank. I’d keep the temp at 86F and no higher for the tetras.

Gypsy13

Wonderful. All updates are greatly appreciated but when they’re happy updates, wow! Made my day! Thank you so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
butterflybetta
Top Bottom