Spotcheek and Convict hybrid.

MedicMike

This should be interesting... I recently removed some eggs from my tank that a Convict had laid and a Spotcheek had fertilized. The eggs are now starting to hatch. This could be an interesting pairing.

CichlidJynx

MedicMike said:
This should be interesting... I recently removed some eggs from my tank that a Convict had laid and a Spotcheek had fertilized. The eggs are now starting to hatch. This could be an interesting pairing.
I’m truthfully a “purist” when it comes to CA/SA cichlids, as long as they aren’t sold or thrown in a lake it’s cool to see what they grow up as!

MedicMike

CichlidJynx said:
I’m truthfully a “purist” when it comes to CA/SA cichlids, as long as they aren’t sold or thrown in a lake it’s cool to see what they grow up as!
I hadn't intended on breeding more, but after I removed them I was interested to see what they could look like. I've seen a few hybrids that had a cool look to them. I may have to re home some, but I'd rather not kill them. We'll see what comes of it.

CichlidJynx

MedicMike said:
I hadn't intended on breeding more, but after I removed them I was interested to see what they could look like. I've seen a few hybrids that had a cool look to them. I may have to re home some, but I'd rather not kill them. We'll see what comes of it.
I would definitely like to see what comes of them! Like I said it’s just a personal thing, I’m not gonna attack anyone over it. Please post pictures with age!

Amazoniantanklvr

I will need to see pics. I have always like to see unusual fish

MedicMike

CichlidJynx said:
I would definitely like to see what comes of them! Like I said it’s just a personal thing, I’m not gonna attack anyone over it. Please post pictures with age!
I will for sure! Depending on what traits they take after could be an interesting mix. I also wonder what their personality would be.

MedicMike

Amazoniantanklvr said:
I will need to see pics. I have always like to see unusual fish
Could be interesting to see!

SofiCat11

Yeah, I can't wait!

AcuarioAmazonico

Watching

MedicMike

My wife is sending me videos of tail wagging eggs currently...

chromedome52

I have seen Convict x Firemouth, which is a close cousin to your spotcheek. They had no red, and few spangles, and lacked color overall. They had the stripes of convicts, but they were pale and grey. A rather disappointing fish, TBH.

MedicMike

chromedome52 said:
I have seen Convict x Firemouth, which is a close cousin to your spotcheek. They had no red, and few spangles, and lacked color overall. They had the stripes of convicts, but they were pale and grey. A rather disappointing fish, TBH.
I have been looking into the ElliotI x Convict hybrid. There are a small handful of pics and stories. I don't really have super high hopes but we will see what comes from it. Some of them had really cool color, while the other 2/3 were as you said kinda bland and pale looking Convicts. I've got a little room in my tank so we'll see how it goes!

MedicMike

So, a sad course of events; first the fish were hatching and swimming around on the bottom of my breeder I had bought for this. I had it just open which was a mistake as it turns out. I had the breeder at or just below the surface of the water level and that's were a guppy had jumped into the breeder and started eating to his hearts content. My daughter noticed this fairly early so I did get to remove him and correct this problem but I still had a loss of just over 1/2 of the hatched fry. Knowing this was a problem I place the filter(?) so the eggs could fall through the grate but the larger fish couldn't in.

Still having about 8-10 survivors they had been moving about the breeder with no real issues as they wiggled on the bottom. Over the next few days a few disappeared to the point where the fry is now gone. A total loss, major bummer.
So learning opportunity so if you know or have some experience with this please chime in. I removed the eggs from the cichlid tank and put them in my community tank to keep them safer. The community tank has a few guppies and platies. My thought is at they grew and were able to swim freely they also exited the breeder out the very small slits in the side above the grate. This seems to make the most sense to me... Thoughts?

On a side note I haven't really corrected the problem of my Convict laying eggs and she is getting fat so I'm thinking another batch might be on the way. I feel like I might be a little irresponsible by allowing this and will correct this soon.

TWiG87

Sorry to hear you lost them all. That would have been an interesting fish to see. I think you’re probably correct in assuming they managed to escape through some of the little slits in the container.

MedicMike

OK, were back on! The new fry of eggs have tails-a-wagging! My Blue Acara decided to get down on this as well. I had both my Convict and Blue Acara spawning at the same time so I gave them a few days and pulled the eggs. I also corrected the issue with laying eggs. I pulled the female Convict from the tank and am trying to rehome her because I don't really want to be dealing with breeding. The Blue Acara eggs should be pure breed, and the Convict eggs should again be a hybrid with the Spotcheek. I now have a crappy net around the old breeder which should keep everyone where they should be.

Pariah

MedicMike said:
OK, were back on! The new fry of eggs have tails-a-wagging! My Blue Acara decided to get down on this as well. I had both my Convict and Blue Acara spawning at the same time so I gave them a few days and pulled the eggs. I also corrected the issue with laying eggs. I pulled the female Convict from the tank and am trying to rehome her because I don't really want to be dealing with breeding. The Blue Acara eggs should be pure breed, and the Convict eggs should again be a hybrid with the Spotcheek. I now have a crappy net around the old breeder which should keep everyone where they should be.
Any updates?

Top Bottom