sponges for cleaning

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi all...I have one of those algae brushes, the ones with the handle..but I was wondering what kind of sponge I could use for more precise cleaning of the glass walls inside the tank. Can I use a brand new, rinsed in treated water household type sponge, the ones with the scrubber stuff on one side????? Or do I need a particular made for fish tanks sponge?
Thank you! Jackie

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes you can use those but... you have to be positive they don't have any chemicals added. like to retard mildew or soap.
Carol

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
yes you can use those but... you have to be positive they don't have any chemicals added. like to retard mildew or soap.
Carol
Ok..will do Carol..thank you!
Jackie

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I use those magnet cleaners made for aquariums.

jayfl234

Valued Member
Reaction score
I also use the magnet cleaners is well they work really good. Get the kind without the string attached get the one that if it falls off the glass it floats.

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
AlfaBetta said:
I use those magnet cleaners made for aquariums.
Do they really work? I always wondered about them..do you find them easy and do they really get all the algae off?
Thanks.. Jackie

JackieN

Valued Member
Reaction score
jayfl234 said:
I also use the magnet cleaners is well they work really good. Get the kind without the string attached get the one that if it falls off the glass it floats.
Ok then..thanks for the info..I'll look for them on my next excursion to the LFS..
Jackie

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes they work really well for algae or any type of scum that sticks to the walls of the tank. They are really convenient too since you don't have to open the hood or anything like that. I just leave mine stuck at the back until I need to use it, it always stays inside the tank. If you have an acrylic tank you will need the special made for both acrylic and glass. You cannot use the glass only one on acrylic tanks because it will scratch the tank. They are called Magfloats or some such.

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
my tanks, especially the 20 gallon have been having a bout with brown algae for about a month now, and the rocks especially are hard to get clean..what do you guys use? I bought a new toothbrush because my new algae scrubber is already worn out from the rocks! thanks for any input,
denise

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
a bristlenose
carol

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos, but you have to let them eat the algae and don't overstuff them with algae wafers. When the algae is gone then you feed them the wafers. Otherwise they are great little algae scrubbers. Be prepared to watch chaos when they get into a tank full of the algae, they really go crazy with the job. ;D

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
thanks!!
denise

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom