Sponges and Mechanincal Filtration combinations?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Labeo55, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Labeo55New MemberMember

If you where to use Sponge Filtration sufficient for the gallon size of the aquarium, how does this effect the GPH ratio for using Mechanical Filtration in conjunction with Sponge Filtration? (Rule: 10 gal. per gal. of water tank holds) Base line: Fresh water, Community Tank, 210gal tank size.

Have just gotten my new tank. Will sponge filtration lower the need for mechanical filtration that jis gph?

Attached Files:

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Count your gph rating for the sponge filter along with any other filtration you add to the tank. Yes, because a sponge filter is mechanical filtration. I use them in almost all my tanks and love them. Just my opinion, but with that size tank, I'd go with canister filters as my main filtration, and supplement with sponge filters just to add to the tank. I have found using the larger sponge filters take up a lot of space and are hard to hide in the tank. They don't seem to have as much suction power as the smaller ones.

3. Labeo55New MemberMember

Thank you, Gunnie. I understand that sponges, which I really haven't used before, also contribute to the mechanical aspect, but I look at them from a more biological stand point. Even though HOB and Cannisters do bring biological filtration into play, I look at these as the mechanical aspect. It is my understanding that biological out ways mecahanical (large particle clean up). Never using sponges before, I wanted more info in regards to personal use of both. I have come across articles, on the web, by those who use just sponge and have many tanks, some quit large, but really didn't go into much detail. Thanks again.

Tony

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I have a 55 gal. angel tank with 5 adult angels and 1 LDA33 which is about 4 inches long. My sole filtration in that tank are 2 sponge filters, and it stays very clean. ;)

5. Labeo55New MemberMember

What is the diameter of your sponges? I have installed a Rena Filstar XP-3 which is rated for 175 gals. I'm figuring I've lost 10 to 12 gals to gravel and decorations. I thought about what you said about smaller sponges being more efficient, so have decided to compliment the filstar with smaller sponge rated for about 80 gal, possibly two these are 5 inches in diameter.
    have my set up the way I want and now letting it cycle, have used filter media to seed from my 55gal and may introduce a couple of corys in after a while. Here are a few pic.

Attached Files:

6. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

These are the filters I have in my 55 gal.:

Your tank is beautiful. I really like the way you placed your plants!

7. Labeo55New MemberMember

Thanks for the info. I have decided to try these two types of sponges, sites listed below. I was thinking of an in line filter to cut down on canister maintenance, but got a pickup tube type along with one rated for gold fish tanks. I figured with the one on the pick up tube it would be easier to maintain in addition to the canister creating a power head effect, the other for that additional biological boost.
    Filter#2 rated up to 120 gal.
    No rating given on filter #1

Tony

Attached Files:

8. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Sounds good! Your filstar filter is also an excellent choice. I have an XP2 and and XP3 running on my 100 gal. tank and they are great. You will be amazed how quiet they are! If you are borrowing filter media from a cycled tank, what are you using to keep the bacteria alive? Do you have fish in the tank now, or are you adding pure ammonia?

9. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Tony your tank looks absolutely spectacular. Are those real plants or fake? Either way where did you get them and what are they called?

10. Labeo55New MemberMember

Hi, those are all plastic. I'm sorry but i don't now the names of them I just liked the way they looked. I got them at Petsmart they have large variety. I kind of like the natural look and just learned of some cliff cave decorations that stick to the glass. I'll post a pic of this when I get it in the tank under Fish and Tank Photos, My 220gal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice