Sponges And Lava Rock

saltysteve
Filters are always an interesting topic. So many different filters and so many different opinions. There is biological, chemical and mechanical as most of you know. I'm coming back to fresh after taking a break from salt and or just tanks in general. Ive been trying to remember what is the bare minimum and very simple way to do this is.
From what I remember I used first a floss filter, then a sponge to collect some bacteria but also use it as a mechanical filter if I shake off the major dirt during cleanings once a month. The lava rock would be the main biological and wouldnt be touched. Chemical I wouldnt bother unless I had a ussue.

Or I could not run what I mentioned and use floss filter then something like chemipure after without rocks or sponges.

And anyone using lava rocks now a days?

I'm setting up a biocube 32 for freshwater fish and plants because that's what I have already. The fish I'm thinking of doing fancy guppies as ive never done them before and people seem to enjoy them. I'm setting everything up for my sons first bday
Apparently he likes fish like his dad!

Thanks for any input guys!

Cleaning tank with white vinegar at the moment
20180920_223609.jpeg

rainbowsprinkles
Lava is the best for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria ! I make diy filters with lava carbon and floss. My Other tanks I use lava as substrate or decoration. Really helps with water quality.

davidt39
I haven’t used floss as a filter before. What type do you use? Is it the same as sold in a fabric store?

saltysteve
Yes ive used floss that comes in the.big bag for maybe stuffing pillows. Cheap and bag lasts very long. I use it sometimes as a prefilter. Now that I think about it I last just was using a cut filter pad for polishing the tank. But in the cheap gold fish filters that use a bubbler its carbon and floss. Simple, cheap and works well is why its still around
I haven’t used floss as a filter before. What type do you use? Is it the same as sold in a fabric store?

davidt39
Thanks. Do you put it in the HOB filter along with charcoal?

saltysteve
Lava is the best for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria ! I make diy filters with lava carbon and floss. My Other tanks I use lava as substrate or decoration. Really helps with water quality.
Is there a certain color or type of lava rock that is best? I'm thinking I only need about 2 big handfuls of it for my biocube.

The sponge is a good idea for what I wanted to do? I remember in salt its not liked as it builds up the nitrates. I can't see it getting out of hand if I clean it off once a month though

rainbowsprinkles
Yes. Fabric store floss works but I just have an old pillow that I use for floss. Lol

rainbowsprinkles
Is there a certain color or type of lava rock that is best? I'm thinking I only need about 2 big handfuls of it for my biocube.

The sponge is a good idea for what I wanted to do? I remember in salt its not liked as it builds up the nitrates. I can't see it getting out of hand if I clean it off once a month though

I’ve used red and black- both seem to work. I’ve had success with sponges - great for nitrification. I think it would work well for you..but recently switched them all in my nano tanks to this (below). Seem to be better at clearing debris than sponges. And less nitrates. Just floss, lava and an uplift tube. Works like an old fashioned corner filter
Image1537983823.236967.jpg here is a bigger version for a 25g with layers: scrubbie, black lava, carbon in a media bag, floss, red lava - cycled fast and made water crystal clear
IMG_6537.JPG

rainbowsprinkles

Should have also said Lava sold for grills is cheap-easiest to come by and works great .

saltysteve
I’ve used red and black- both seem to work. I’ve had success with sponges - great for nitrification. I think it would work well for you..but recently switched them all in my nano tanks to this (below). Seem to be better at clearing debris than sponges. And less nitrates. Just floss, lava and an uplift tube. Works like an old fashioned corner filter View attachment 483820 here is a bigger version for a 25g with layers: scrubbie, black lava, carbon in a media bag, floss, red lava - cycled fast and made water crystal clear View attachment 483821
That's what is nice about prefilters... they really polish the water off nicely. I think you might've noticed a difference because of using the floss.

saltysteve
Just went to home depot and they didnt have any lava rock. Any suggestions as to where I can locate some good but inexpensive lava rock?

rainbowsprinkles
Really? That’s where I get mine.. Lowe’s, Walmart? This black lava makes great filter media ( and I’m using it as a substrate and plants love it so far) and pretty sure mine was already seeded with bacteria from the source because it cycled my tank so fast..

leftswerve
I know everyone is going to jump on me however lava rock can contain phosphates and other algae inducing items (not to mention possible metals). Sooooo, if you get to a point where you can't control algae, look to the rock. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

rainbowsprinkles
Thanks for sharing this possibility-I won’t jump on you but I’ve found that if these are factors then controlling nitrates seems to counteract these effects on algae. I don’t have algae issues in my tanks with lava. Less so actually..And fish and invert health has been no issue.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lunas
Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views
JollyOtter
Replies
Views