Spongefilters - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Need More Fish, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Need More Fish

Need More FishNew MemberMember

BCB87F31-EADC-482C-B32A-07B18449C9BC.jpeg6F3FBB35-5C9B-452B-B121-05612E0DDF4D.jpeg recently watched a YouTube of a guy saying he uses spongefilters for planted tanks. I recently switched from HoB to Spongefilter. My thoughts are after 1 day -

1) Fish seem happier
    2) I am happier, because it is super quiet.

What are the communities thoughts on these filters?

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Practical, easy to use. Hopefully you seeded it before taking off the other filter!

A lot of stores are run on just sponge filters.

3. OP
    OP
    Need More Fish

Def spread that goodness before taking out the oldies :).

I like it, we will see how it goes!

4. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Are they good for smaller tanks? Like 5 gallon tank?

5. Joker321

Joker321New MemberMember

I use sponge filters on smaller tanks and think they work great, I wouldn’t say I notice a dramatic difference between them and the HOBs, but being quieter is a huge plus. I actually keep a couple of sponge filters in the sump of my bigger tank in case I need to setup a QT/Hosiptal tank in a pinch. Not to mention for when I get the itch that I need another tank. :)

6. Joker321

Joker321New MemberMember

Absolutely!

7. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Do they take up a good amount of room? I’m stuck between a HOB or a sponge filter for my upcoming 5g betta tank I’m setting up. I just have HOBs for my other tanks.

8. bettabo1Valued MemberMember

I use hikira corner sponge filters on my three and five gallon tanks.

I really like sponge filters. I like to use a sponge filter and hob on low flow for best results.

9. OP
    OP
    Need More Fish

Those corner ones look awesome!

10. coralbandit

coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Most breeders use sponge filters in every tank .
    There are super small ones [aquatop CAF10   ] That beside the sponge like the sponge in first post have some space /media for bacteria to grow so the sponge can be rinsed however is convenient ..
    I use them in my largest and smallest tanks that I raise fish in. They work great. I use aquaclear hobs on most of the larger tanks in combo with air driven sponges ..

11. Kathryn Crook

Kathryn CrookWell Known MemberMember

I just put one in in combo with my HOB and I couldnt be happier! Mine is just a 10g shrimp tank and a double sponge (small) didnt take up nearly as much room as I thought it would.

12. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Love em.

I have the weighted corner sponge filters, large double sponges with suction ups, small double sponge filters.

All 7 tanks have sponge filters, 2 20s just sponges.

For breeding or fish that don’t like much current, they are perfect.

For transferring a cycle they are the best IMO.

And very easy to clean.

13. OP
    OP
    Need More Fish

Wife bought me some plants for Christmas! They arrived early so, I got to open them. I think I may have too many. Thoughts??

Attached Files:

14. Hunter1

I love it!

Once they all grow in you may have to trim but I think it looks great, both quantity and scaping.

15. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

sponge filters are simple but amazing filters. love them for low flow tanks or with fish/inverts that can get hurt by the hobs (bettas, shrimp,etc)
    looks amazing! it will look even better once it all fills out. personally i feel like there is never too much plants

16. OP
    OP
    Need More Fish

Well good, because I got more in the mail! Hahah early Christmas presents!

Attached Files:

17. Hunter1

18. Hunter1

The double sponge filters you have are awesome.

I have rose in several tanks.

I squeeze one filter in a bucket of tank water every 2 weeks.

Submerge in water, squeeze 2Xs, let it fill with water, lift it above the bucket and squeeze a third time and replace it. Each filter than gets cleaned once a month.

19. OP
    OP
    Need More Fish

Have not used any!

20. Bubbles_and_Fins

Bubbles_and_FinsValued MemberMember

I personally like DIY sponge filters the best because they're easier on the eyes and you can see all the gunk in it so you can tell when it's dirty enough that it needs to be cleaned :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice