Sponge vs. Corner Filters Opinions and Poll

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by QQQUUUUAADDD, Dec 12, 2012.

?

Which do you prefer: a sponge or corner filter?

1. I love sponge filters!

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. I love corner filters!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I hate both of them! HOBs and canisters all the way!

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I was just wondering which do you prefer and why. A corner or sponge filter. I'd like to hear different opinions. Thanks.

2. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

A corner filter as in a plastic box that you can fill with media, then pump air through it? To me they are pretty much the same. The function on the same principle. I use sponge filters, love them. I would also use a corner filter.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Each type of filter has it's purpose, and as long as we don't ask too much of it, things will be fine. I prefer to use canisters, and if I must, an HOB.

4. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

+1 on what jaysee said. These three filters are often for different purposes in many cases. The corner filters were the first ones used a long time ago in the hobby, and are often used today to set up quick hospital or fry tanks. Sponge filters are handy for smaller aquariums where you don't want too much equipment everywhere, but depending on what's hauling the water through them (air pumps or power heads), their performance changes.

I know many aquarists with the most amazing planted tanks who insist on using sponge filters or corner filters with airstones. They say that HOBs and canisters "haul out" too many particles that can feed their plants. Personally I've seen beautiful planted tanks using all kinds of filters, but I guess when you have a formula that works for you, you stick to it. :)

5. C

I use sponge filters in all my breeder tanks.

6. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

ive used corner filters and i prefer them to sponge filters they can be quite effective

7. Alasse

Alasse Well Known Member Member

I use both.....

corner filter are great for adding other media to (carbon, purigen etc). Sponges are great for breeding/or shrimp tanks

8. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Just curiouse what is the intended us for the filters in question? That may affect the answers and there might be other options too.

9. Jaysee

Well, the higher the bioload, the larger the filtration system that's needed.

The difference between a sponge and a corner filter is minimal - they are both air driven filters. A corner filter is a sponge filter put in a box so that other things can be placed on top of the sponge, making it a multistage filter.

Sponge filters are good for small tanks and for setups that require a minimal amount of current and have a small bioload. Of course there are large sponge filters too, but the capacity of a filter is limited by the volume of media, and to a lesser extent the turnover rate.

The corner filter builds on the sponge, by accommodating chemical and or biological media in addition to the sponge, so the bioload capacity is increased. This is just a step up from the sponge.

There are also corner filters that function like power filters, in that they are pump driven. These are more akin to internal filters, which have their limitations as well. Internal filters are essentially underwater power filters. Because they go inside the tank, they tend to be on the small side as to not take up too much space. They do not hold much media because of this.

IMO all those filters are good for lower bioload and smaller tanks. For a higher bioload tank, I think canisters are best and HOBs would be my second choice. Volume of media is the most important aspect of filtration. That's why HOBs are supposed to turn the water over 10 times and hour and canisters 5. The more media you have, the higher the concentration of ammonia it can process in one pass. HOBs turn the water over faster in order to keep the incoming concentration low.

10. C

In general this is true. There always exceptions to things though. Many Discus keepers use use only sponge filters in large tanks. They change the water so often that they don't need any larger filtration. I run a 29 gallon Angel breaded solely on sponge filters. I also have a 10 gallon Endlers tank that runs on just sponge filters. The filtration in that tank has handled 100 Endlers easily.

11. Jaysee

Exactly - if you change 80% of the water every day, you don't need a huge filtration system.

12. ccb04

ccb04 Well Known Member Member

I like both & have used them together and also in combination with HOB filters, etc. I prefer corner filters for their media versatility. They are also better mechanical filters IMO. I use Lee's triple flow medium & large models.

13. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

I use both & love them both! Each has it's pros & cons.

14. Colorado

Colorado Valued Member Member

I use a sponge in my big tank as a supplement/backup and in my QT and shrimp tanks because the tanks are small and the filters are easy and inexpensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice